[Reader-list] Fwd: Re: India's First Audio Copyrighting ?

Debkamal Ganguly deb99kamal at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 30 22:10:45 IST 2006

Debkamal Ganguly <deb99kamal at yahoo.com> wrote: Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 08:36:23 -0800 (PST)
From: Debkamal Ganguly <deb99kamal at yahoo.com>
Subject: Re:  India's First Audio Copyrighting ?
To: readers-list at sarai.net

I have some songs sung by Jankibai, one of the first few singers who recorded their songs on the disc, at the end of the song, Jankibai used to say 'mera naam Jankibai Allahabadi'. In Sarai archive one video 'Hawamahal' is there, made by us, where a song of Jankibai with that vocal 'copyrighting' has been used. I was specially attached to that self-utterance, as a claim of nascent state of subjectivity, material formation of the personalized artistic self in the scene of an unforeseen alienation between the performer and the audience.

Can that vocal copyrighting be compared with the middle-age Bhakti poets who used to integrate their name in the end of the poem using a certain theme, rhythm and metre, which is called 'Bhanita'?

Debkamal

Flat - D-7, Chamundeshwari Apartments, 13th Cross Kalidasa Road, Vani Vilas Mohalla
Mysore - 570002. Mobile - 9243581021, 9901417145 Landline -  0821-4256003
Alternate Email - debkamal at gmail.com

http://mail.yahoo.com

Alternate Email - debkamal at gmail.com

http://mail.yahoo.com