[Reader-list] Re: reader-list Digest, Vol 31, Issue 22

Koen Martens gmc at sonologic.nl
Sat Feb 11 02:36:55 IST 2006

Manosh (and others),

>  I understand you have certain understandings of 'individual'
> 'free speech' 'psychological' 'health' and many more. Let them be
> yours. What I am concerned about is your conviction to an assumed
> definition of the "extremists" [hence Muslims, for sure].

I think you and others really misunderstood what i said. I said
'muslim extremists', which is not the same as 'muslims'. I never
equated 'muslim' and 'extremist'. I was talking about the certain
sub-group of muslims that go out and burn buildings in reaction to a
mere drawing.

> How can
> you be so ingnorant about what is happenning on to them? How can
> you dissociate with the very historical construction of the
> "enemies"?

Could you perhaps rephrase these questions, what _is_ happening on
them? What do you mean with 'the very historical construction of the
"enemies"?

> And, then, why do you [or somebody else], being part of
> the same knoledge system and/or vocabularies,
> fuel to that process? This act claims to be domination.

If you tell a child not to do something, she will want to do it even
more. Media firms are like children. Especially if you touch the
right to free expression, which is the holy grail of newspapers (at
least, in countries where newspapers aren't run by the government).
If buildings get burned in protest of a cartoon, the cartoon is
reprinted over and over to proove a point: we [the people reprinting
the cartoon] will not budge for your [the people that burn buildings
and kill in reaction to the cartoons] violent claims and won't
submit to your agressive claims.

Best,

Koen