[Reader-list] I-fellow Post 2

Rakshat Hooja rakshat at gmail.com
Sun Feb 19 12:48:08 IST 2006

My apologies for the delay in making the monthly post. In fact  this is
just a small update post to outline the  progress made on my study of
Resident Welfare  Associations and urban stakeholder activism.

I have finally set up a blog dedicated only to this study at
http://residentwelfare.blogspot.com

Right now it contains the background to the study, hypothesis and some
of my primary (first hand) impressions but I will be adding more
material to it very soon. So please do take a look and suggestions are
most welcome.

I will also be putting up the draft of the survey I wish to carry out in
the selected RWAs on the blog by the end of this month and would be
grateful for advise/refinements to it.

As far as data collection goes I have started collecting qualitative
data via informal interviews and this has made me realise that I was
ignoring the influence of personal or private benefit (actual and
perceived) as a factor for the participation in RWA activities. Very
preliminary/initial understanding seems to be that atleast in some cases
it is just not to better the quality of life in a colony or locality
that drives people to participate in the RWA activities but also the
direct individual benefits that they get. For example in one RWA (Not
giving the name till I can verify the facts in more detail, but it is in
Vasant Kunj) municipal water supply was also opened in the afternoon but
only the members of the RWA executive body seemed to know about this and
the other people in the colony were ignorant of this fact. It was also
not like the  RWA executive was hiding this fact, but nor had they made
any effort to advertise it to all the members of the RWA. Similarly many
of the residents felt that the level of security and cleaning service
available to them personally was better if the service providers knew
that they were active members of the RWA.

It is to verify observations like the ones above that I am planning the
survey to collect quantitative data.

On another note does anyone know any library (other than the national
archives) in Delhi where hindi newspapers for the last three years are
kept? They are not kept in the DU library and I wanted to go through and
collect articles on RWAs.

till next time

Rakshat