[Reader-list] Report on South Asia seminar curtain raiser - 21 February, 2006]

Jeebesh Bagchi jeebesh at sarai.net
Wed Feb 22 10:19:42 IST 2006

Listening to the speakers and now reading the report (which is
brilliantly compiled) a few questions surfaced.

(I)
Somewhere, at stake is an understanding of the nature of the
censorial `power` that confronts voices from being articulated and
circulated.

Now what is this `power`? Does it have a manifest location or it is
very diffused and dispersed to locate or fix it?

All `voices` that are /banned/discredited/disallowed seems very
`frail`, `fragile`, `weak` on the surface, in terms of it's reach.
Then why is `power` intimated by it.?
What does this has to say about the nature of power itself?

Is it too besieged, uncertain and weak that a `faint` voice can
destabilize it from it's pedestal.? What would this account of power
mean in terms of practices of `counter-publics`?

(II)
The processes of `intimidation` by censors (here i use it  in the
broadest meaning) seems to follow a defined trajectory. Why not have
a public listing of all these intimidation and this can be sourced
from all over and have a engaged thinking of how to `bypass` it if
possible, `confront` it when needed, `publicize` it gain ground, etc.

(iii)
What happens to our sources of self  when intimidated, confronted,
faced with the might of the `censor`.?

This is a critical question as there is an increasing doubt on an
`open` life after `authoritarian` assault. Positions gets hardened
and world divide itself into the 20th C grand metaphor of `friend or
foes`. Maybe we can find a way to discuss this.

warmly

jeebesh