[Reader-list] [Announcements] Internet and The Culture of Openness

The Sarai Programme dak at sarai.net
Thu Feb 23 18:28:54 IST 2006

     CACIM and Sarai/CSDS invites you to a discussion
                            on
*            "Internet and The Culture of Openness" *

      Date : March 2, 2006, Thursday
      Time : 2:00 pm to 5:00 pm
      Venue: Sarai-CSDS, 29 Rajpur Road, New Delhi 110054

In recent years, the idea and practices of openness seem to have
become very popular, especially on the Internet.  That this is not
restricted to the electronic realm is evident from one of the popular
concepts of the World Social Forum (WSF) -- while the WSF means many
things to many people, one of the more prominent conceptions of the
WSF is as an 'open space' where individuals, organizations, and
movements come together, share, exchange, build bridges,
relationships, strategize, etc.

Today, various trends and practices of "openness" are prevalent on the
Internet -- the free/open-source movement has in turn spurred various
other endeavours from open access journals, open maps, open knowledge,
open content, open design, open publishing, open encyclopedias
(wikipedia), open politics, open democracy, and so on.

Clearly, most of these endeavours in "openness" appear rooted in the
potential and promise of the Internet -- as an interactive
communication medium where everyone can potentially reach out to
anyone in the wide open world.  Yet, in the course of the last year or
so, there have been developments that raise several questions about
how true this really is, and how long will it reamin to be true.
There was the struggle over control of Internet's root servers, then
the case of Yahoo! enabling the Chinese Government to convict a
journalist, and recently, Google's capitulation to Chinese demands for
content censorship.  The question here is more about the robustness of
openness of the Internet rather than about Yahoo or Google.

With this extremely brief background and context, we invite you to a
discussion to take a critical look on the theme "Internet and the
culture of openness", the promise, potential, and practicality of it.

Theme: Internet and the culture of openness