[Reader-list] second posting

Farhana Ibrahim fi22 at cornell.edu
Fri Feb 24 12:07:57 IST 2006

I am back in Kachchh, after a year and a half, a
long time to be away in the present context, when
"post earthquake reconstruction" means that
nothing of the built landscape remains the same
for long. This time, my research takes me to the
far western edge of Kachchh – to the old port
town of Jakhau. Today, Kachchh is known for
Kandla port, developed after Partition as a
replacement for Karachi. More recently, the
privatization of another port – Mundra – is also
changing the southern coastline of Kachchh. But
there are many other ports in Kachchh, that were
once gateways to this region, ferrying people and
goods back and forth across the Arabian sea.
Jakhau is one such port, that speaks of a former
grandeur, as seen in elaborate old houses, with
richly sculpted and decorated facades. These
houses are still owned by wealthy merchants –
primarily from the Bhatia and Vania (Jain)
communities who now live overseas or further down
the coast in Mumbai. Today old rusty padlocks sit
on the front doors and weeds grow
indiscriminately around. These houses stand apart
from the other genre of elaborate house
architecture – newer, showy structures in other
parts of Kachchh that are commissioned by foreign
exchange remittances from the Persian Gulf or
Europe or North America. These old abandoned
houses were left at the height of their
prosperity and in the absence of local interest
in them, are slowly rotting away.

With the integration of the princely state of
Kachchh into the Indian Union in 1948, its ports
were overshadowed by newer larger and more
mechanized ports with better harbors. Perhaps
more significantly though, following the
partition of the subcontinent in 1947, Kachchh
became a border territory subject to intense
surveillance and control. Many of its ports were
now too close to a tense international boundary.
Partition put an end to any through traffic in
this region. As their activities are
significantly reduced today, some of these old
ports retain an aura of a bygone prosperity but
little else as their population and commercial
activity has dwindled over time.

Jakhau is one such port, whose decline began at
the time of Partition. Situated on the extreme
western edge of the Kachchhi coastline, it is 35
nautical miles from Karachi. Bombay and Karachi
were the maritime hubs of Western India. Kachchhi
traders owned spice plantations in Africa, and
carried on a major trade in spices (especially
cloves) and cotton. Prior to 1948, Kachchh was a
princely state, and its ports were tax free.
Today, apart from the old crumbling mansions,
Jakhau is a small village. 2300 people were
counted it its last census. All that remains of
the once thriving port is a stretch of coastline
where fishing and salt making are the only
occupations left. I met Hirachand Shah, who
recalls as a child, the bustling market place and
bullock carts laden with dry fruit and cloth, as
they were loaded from the port and went out into
Kachchh. I would like to meet some of the former
residents of these splendid houses, but they are
all away. They live in Bombay or the United
States and Canada now, I am told. My next stop
will have to be Bombay, as I try to recover the
stories behind these houses, and the people who lived in them.