[Reader-list] Twin trends of success: Celluloid and Compact Disk

daljit ami daljitami at rediffmail.com
Sat Feb 25 12:45:42 IST 2006

Hello Everybody,
This is my second dispatch on my topic, Twin trends of success: Celluloid and Compact Disk. My exploration on the subject leads me to many interesting interactions with filmmakers who are making films on Digital format. Most of these filmmakers are beginners without any training or experience. These interactions open the space of exploration in many directions. These people are trying their hands in a profession, which was earlier considered for trained professionals. The wide range of subjects they are covering is another dimension of this phenomenon. Lack of technical training or prior experience has made them evolve their own terminology to communicate with each other while shooting. You will not hear the routine sounds supposed to be part of shooting ambience i.e. order, silence, roll camera, rolling, action, cut and okay etc. I will be writing in detail about the new language in the making in my further dispatches.
The defined roles of different departments like direction, camera, costumes, make up, sound, cast and lights have been blurred into many two/three/four-in-one types. The role of post-production has been reduced to arranging the shots and adding little bit of music along with credits and titles. I will be writing in detail about this in coming dispatches. Dialogue oriented scripts have too little to offer as far as creative space for artist is concerned. Lots of new artists can be seen imitating other well-known artists.
This trend has many interesting case stories those need to be told. I think I need to interact more and see the films more. I will come up with some case studies very soon.
Please let me know if you think there is a variable I need to take care off. Your comments and queries will help me a lot.
Regards,
Daljit Ami