[Reader-list] Dilip D'Souza, first posting

zainab at xtdnet.nl zainab at xtdnet.nl
Sat Jan 21 19:23:44 IST 2006

Dear Aditi,

Thank you for responding to this conversation. As I had mentioned in my
email, I had cursorily ran through Dilip D'souza's proposal and therefore
my apologies for making assumptions.

Thanks also for bringing forward the 'definitions' of humanity. I
definitely have a narrow conception of humanity and it emerges from an
image. From what I understand now of Dilip D'souza's proposal, he will
invariably be mapping transformations of the city (and I stand to be
corrected here if I have misinterpreted his proposal) through his essays
on people's interactions and practices in the village pockets. And what
will be interesting to see is what of the interactions of the people of
the villages influences/sustains/nourishes/enriches the present everyday
life in the city.

>From my own experiences, one aspect of mapping transformations is through
conversations with people and in that sense, one gets the 'humanity'
aspect. What I however find most critical is to watch how networks get
transformed and what happens to the city in the context of the larger
political economy (of which culture is an important aspect), something
which Dilip's works will bring out when he refers to liberalization,
secularism, etc.

>From the last one and a half years of investigation (literally), I find
that my position against the global city is that it is not a sustainable
system. It causes gentrification, has severe ecological implications, and
public policies and civil society initiatives sometimes perpetuate the
very violence and systems which we want to change (or at least I want to
change). For instance, in a recent presentation by Mukesh Mehta where he
presented his plan for transforming Dharavi and rehabilitating the slum
dwellers in Dharavi (as part of the global city dream), one member of the
audience pointed out that Mukesh Mehta was not doing anything different
from the present SRA (Slum Rehabilitation Authority) policy. Through using
FSI in-situ, Mehta was simply promoting more density. In a later
discussion with the same person who made the comment, he mentioned clearly
that one of the solutions is to give the land free to the slum dwellers
and enable them to build their own houses there, through their own labour,
and allow them to pay for the houses through rent-free installments while
the state pays the subsidy for interests. While he made this comment, it
dawned on me that this could be a decent solution because there is no TDR
game. But, the political machinery through the press has created a
brilliant campaign against the slum dwellers through raising the argument
of 'public land' and 'entitlements of citizens' and this campaign allows
the political machinery to continue with the regulatory system of FSI and
TDR along with the builders!

Similarly, projects like Khotachiwadi illustrate the dangers of alluding
to village life (and humanity there). Invariably we make specimens of the
'culture' and of the 'people of that culture'. In some public forums where
I have heard residents of Khotachiwadi speak, they speak of themselves and
their 'lifestyles' as 'unique' and make their case of that of privelged
peoples. Therefore, I question intervention and consciousness of
interventions and their consequences on people's lives and their
environments.

In the local trains of Mumbai also, one comes across numerous examples of
'humanity' with people helping each other, supporting each other, finding
respite and comfort in each other's company through train groups or
incidents which take place in the compartments and these definitely give a
lot of hope. But is humanity all that there is to the local trains?Down
the line, I am trying to think in terms of everyday practices of locality
and systems in the local trains. What need does a train group fulfill? Why
do people form groups in trains? One refers to cosmopolitanism of Mumbai
through its local trains but does that cosmopolitanism penetrate deeper
into people's mentalities when it comes to prejudices against Muslims and
Hindus? Are there public spaces like the local train which can facilitate
interactions between people and enable new experiences and deeper
interactions? Can there be designs of such public spaces and are these
designs 'contextual/local' or 'global'?

As a researcher, I find it important to be conscious of the fact that
instead of alluding only to humanity (which I understand as conditions of
human beings), it is useful to think in terms of system.

I will admit that my own position comes from the question of where is
research directed towards? Is it research for research's sake? - sure, and
there is nothing wrong in that. But for me, the process of research is a
deeper understanding of society and looking at what changes in systems can
bring about paradigm shifts. In that sense, I am candidly a
researcher-cum-wanting to bring about change in the world being.

Dilip, I would apologize for two things: one, if I was too harsh, though
that was not my intention and secondly, if I am projecting myself and my
ideas on your proposal (which I am certain you will not allow me to as a
matter of freedom and democracy!!!)

Continuing conversations,
Warmly,
Zainab