[Reader-list] POSTING-1: Inside the soap factory , by Indu Verma

Indu Verma induverma_virgo at yahoo.co.in
Sat Jan 21 18:54:47 IST 2006

  Inside The Soap Factory  (by Indu Verma)

  POSTING –1:  An Introduction

  A dream to be famous, a dream to be big, a dream to be applauded

.is what an Actor craves for.

  Acting to me is just an extension of showing what lies within, as a layer of emotions which if carefully placed & played can fit in the so called “Characters”.

  Often the world hears actors talking about their acting style, the detailed research they do & the methods they follow to get into the skin of the characters they play. I personally do not subscribe to any style or method of acting. As for the Rasa [1] Theory, there are only nine rasas in which the whole acting world lies! One just needs to place the correct emotion required by a character at the right moment of the character’s life.

  I certainly do not deny the fact that every single human being would do it in his or her own different way, yet the outcome is only an emotion. And the closest to the character would be the actor playing the right emotion at the right time. Again, it would differ from the viewer’s point of view because what to you would be a delight to watch, may not appeal to others at all. So the debate on what is correct & what is good is unending.

  Since I am and for now will call myself a “TV Actor”, I will look into the TV soaps which I, fortunately or unfortunately, am a part of. Its not as if I am forced to act on TV. Acting on screen, big or small, was always my dream, but the unfortunate part is the working condition of the TV industry (read: the Soap Factory). Both as an Actor as well as a viewer I feel pity on myself for what I am subjected to.

  Today the world of soaps mostly revolves around female emotions aiming closely on the desperate housewives who either want to be Tulsis & Parvatis or want their daughters or daugter-in-laws to be one of these Demi-Goddesses. The Soap factory thrives on repetitive conflicts capturing the viewers to the extent of breaking their houses. No exaggerations, but the unending tales of the saas-bahu dramas are many a times not even scripted till the eleventh hour when the scene has to be finally shot! The shoots go on without actual scripts so that the deadlines of the telecast are met.

  On screen, what looks like a scene of two or more actors talking in the same space & at the same time, might actually be a scene shot separately with each of the actors because their dates could not match with each other. This is a crazy world of make believe. Well, nothing against the Producer who casts the busy actors and manages their schedule like a juggler. Everything is fair in business. Money precedes morality, ethics and even logic. A maddening phase leads to a mammoth quantity of TV soaps, being churned out day after day, episode after episode.

  All you readers out there won’t like me saying this but the truth is that till you continue to watch, we continue to produce. Only if you stop demanding, will we stop supplying. Till then, bring on the make up!

      [1] An ancient Indian acting theory mentioned in Bharat muni’s NATYASHASTRA.