[Reader-list] First Posting

Uddipana Goswami uddipana at gmail.com
Sun Jan 22 21:03:41 IST 2006

with apologies for late posting...

CITY AS SETTING: REFLECTIONS OF THE CHANGING FACES OF GUWAHATI IN
AXAMIYA LITERATURE

In a way, this project of mine had begun way back in 2000 when I was
working with tehelka.com as a trainee journalist and the editor of the
lifestyle channel on the site, had asked me to write a piece for her
on Guwahati which I always touted as a better place to live in than
Delhi.

The editor loved the piece I wrote but I couldn't figure out why
because to me it only revealed my ignorance. I had been thinking of
sitting down somebody and taking myself to task over it and learning
more about the city I loved to call home.

If it hadn't been for this fellowship, I don't know when I would have
found the required time, motivation and money to do it. For starters
therefore, I think I should post a copy of the piece on Guwahati that
I had written in 2000. It is from here my journey of rediscovery
begins.

Taking an ecumenical approach, my subsequent postings shall traverse
genres of creative writing, autobiography, literary criticism,
sociological research, oral history and journalism, all aimed at
studying Guwahati as reflected in literature, and linking such
literary reflections with contemporaneous socio-politics. But to begin
with, a monologue… http://my-guwahati.blogspot.com/...