[Reader-list] First Post (The Notion of Home)

Janice Pariat janicepariat at gmail.com
Sun Jan 22 21:51:57 IST 2006

The Notion of Home: A Creative Writing Project

Hello everyone. Although the title of my project would hint otherwise,
I drew a blank when sitting down to writing a 'first-time' post.
My name is Janice. I am in the process of applying for a PhD in
English Literature.
My project entails writing six (or more) pieces of fiction/non-fiction
that deal with the various aspects of building/discovering a notion of
home.  Perhaps a little background would help.
I'm sure I'm not the only one to have faced this…but when people ask
me where I'm from, I usually hesitate because I don't know what to
say. My mother is Portuguese, my father is half British and half Khasi
(a tribe that belongs to the state of Meghalaya). Since he worked in
the tea estates of Assam, I was sent to school in Shillong (the
capital of the state) and lived most of my early life there and then
in boarding school. Working in tea means moving from one place to
another every three to four years. I did my undergrad in Delhi, my
masters in London and now am back for a year in Delhi again. I do
apologise if that sounded rather long winded but trust me, it is
necessary!
I guess all the moving around, the uprooting and adjusting made me
question what 'home' is or should be: a geographical place where your
'roots' are supposed to be or a mental space which you identify with.
Is 'home' a space where various narratives are woven, where certain
images stay with you (a view from a window?) or is it found with
family and friends?More specifically, how is a notion of home formed
in an urban setting...a city that can be hostile, desolate,
impersonal.
My project seeks to explore that. Each 'story' will (as of now at
least!) attempt to capture an aspect of creating 'home'.

How far do you have to travel
To be sure to return
Is it necessary to wrench your roots
To find them