[Reader-list] translation of first posting

khalid jamal zzjamaal at yahoo.co.in
Tue Jan 24 01:03:07 IST 2006

Yunus,

  You seems to have had interesting encounters with the city..i am keenly  looking forwrd to listen to the tale of the city through the narrative  of a Helpline..

  GOODLUCK..

express yourself <express_yourself at rediffmail.com> wrote:
  Hi everybody,

My name is Yunus, I am from Delhi and I do social work for a  living. Being in this profession for last three years and during my  education I have been associated with many voluntary organizations that  work on various issues like child rights, women empowerment and  livelihoods etc. for last one year I have been associated with a Child  help line, run by a voluntary organization and where my major  responsibility is to coordinate with other organizations to help  children in distress. As part of my work I got few opportunities of  interacting with those parts, systems and mechanisms of the city, which  I wouldn’t have done otherwise. This experience showed me a different  picture of Delhi, which is usually distorted or ignored. The curiosity  of exploring more and sharing my findings with others motivated me to  Join Sarai as a researcher.

 During last fifteen years because of new economic policies and  structural adjustment program there has been dynamic changes in the  concept and process of urbanization itself .all this has resulted in  the increased complexities in city and city lives. To address these  complexities and problems ,initiatives were taken up by both  governmental and non-governmental organizations. ‘Help line’ is one of  them.
  Through this research I will study  Delhi from a perspective of  help line workers . As the title suggests it will throw light at  Helplessness of the national capital Delhi. However as case it will  raise question about the social changes in any city ,due to LPG  (liberalization Privatization and Globalization) it will also highlight  the contemporary meaning of Help for city dwellers and the web of HELP,  NEEDS and SERVICES.
  For the purpose of research ,I will be interacting, interviewing and  observing help line workers to study their lives, Work, Activities and  client from close quarters. I intend to make transit walks with them to  get their version of the city. I will take Pictures and facilitate them  to click pictures of the significant parts of their life as a helpline  worker and will try pen down their comments.
  Along with exploring Helpline as new work And mapping lives of help  line workers this research will also enter in the domains of other  areas like impact of new technology on people, their behavior and  communication, the integration of seemingly differentiated problems of  people living in a city. also it will lead to a better insight into the  various systems and mechanisms responsible for smooth functioning of  the city.
  i will try to share my future posting with reader list along with dewane sarai. Your feed back and comments are welcome.
  Regards,

  S M Yunus

ONE LIFE. ONE SHOT.

Happiness, Health & Peace,