[Reader-list] My First Posting to Sarai.

Rajesh Komath "rajeshkumar at cds.ac.in>, rkomathcds" at rediffmail.com
Wed Jan 25 15:14:09 IST 2006

Dear Friends,

It has been a great pleasure to read the posting of Sarai I-Fellows, not
only because each research questions raised were distinct and cross-
disciplinary, but the voices who raised those questions were equally
vibrant. I am thankful to CSDS-Sarai, for giving me this opportunity to
interact and share our views on a wider range of issues. Let me briefly
introduce my-self and thereby my-work, on the first posting to Sarai.

I am Rajesh Komath, an indigenous\traditional performer of Teyyam, a
ritualistic folk art linked to the rich traditions of ancient cult system,
largely performed in the northern regions (Malabar) of south Indian state,
Kerala. The word ‘Teyyam’, derived from the word ‘Daivam’, means God in
Malayalam language. It is performed annually or on festive occasions as an
expression of local people’s faith in the divine and also, as an artistic
expression of their collective social consciousness. Though performed for
different purposes, generally it is towards satisfying some social needs.
For instance, performance of fertility cult, in the paddy field for
increasing agricultural productivity or the case of the Teyyam
named ‘Vasurimala’ performed for warding off small pox from the village.
Teyyam related rituals have a close connection with worship, life
ceremonies, sorcery and belief in the daily life of the ordinary people of
north Malabar. Its themes have originated from mythical and ritualistic
imagination and the dancer give vent to the moods through his dances,
movements and articulation. It is a colourful combination of dance,
theatre and music. The dancer, who transforms into ‘Teyyam’, performs,
admonishes, predicts the future, reads the past, and receives adulation
and worship from villagers. Primarily, this art form is found in Kannur
and Kasargod districts of Kerala, though such traditions do exist in
southern Malabar region too and also in the border areas of south Kanara
and Coorg districts of the neighboring state Karnataka, however the
regional terminologies may differ.

By training I am an economist, holding an M Phil degree in Applied
economics and currently pursuing doctoral research on the
theme “Negotiating for Social Development: Experience of Teyyam Performing
Communities of north Malabar” at Centre for Development Studies,
Trivandrum. But I also perform Teyyam, both in traditional shrines and
modern theatre stages as the art form is presently commodified. Thus, I
straddle between two worlds—of Teyyam dancer and a researcher. I have a
plan to document 400 Teyyams that face extinction and record Thottam that
is recited during performance. I am also interested in music and musical
production of Teyyam performances. Photographs of my performances are:
link  http://rajeshkomath.blogspot.com/2006_01_01_rajeshkomath_archive.html

The present study, “Ethnography of Teyyam Performance as Practitioner”,
attempts to analyze how long-term social transformation reflects on the
life of a community in terms of their adherence to Teyyam performance and
their traditional social position as legitimate artists/workers of the art
form. The study intends to understand the predicament of marginal
communities in the larger stratified society. Historically,
marginalized/indigenous communities have been relegated to the conditions
of the most backward communities in the hierarchical social structure of
India. This study would investigate social and material conditions, social
meanings, and aesthetic practices of the cultural production of Teyyam;
performed by lower castes and Adivasi communities which can be considered
as a resistance against, oppression of the dominant groups in the northern
districts of Kerala. The analysis will be an ethnographic and folkloristic
discourse on behalf of the community. This study will capture
the  “insider perspective”, as the researchers himself is an active
performer of Teyyam and will be able to combine individual experiences
with the social, cultural and economic aspects of the community.

a ‘performer’ will illustrate Teyyam performer’s social life, to
communicate their dilemma in the changing social hierarchy of north
Malabar society, where Communists ideology interfaces with the traditional
ritual of Teyyam performance.

With warm regards.
Rajesh Komath.

Rajesh Kumar.K.