[Reader-list] First Posting- Queer Cityscapes

sheba tejani shebatejani at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 12:01:15 IST 2006

Hi Ashok,

Thanks for your response. You are right, defining queer is necessary
as well as tricky. In my mind I am thinking of "queer" as women who
love other women, they may identify as lesbian, bisexual, transgender
or may in fact not attach a label to themselves at all.

I am using queer more as a marker and symbol for myself rather than as
a fixed or self conscious category. During the course of one of the
interviews I conducted I also felt it was necessary to leave the term
fluid or to let people define themselves. What I am trying to explore
is the dialogue that takes place between "queer" women (who also tend
to fall outside of the seemingly ubiquitous heterosexual nuclear
family paradigm) and the city.  Hope that clarifies things a bit more.

I would also be intrigued to find out what the outcome of your
explorations with sms' in public spaces would be. Thanks for your
offer to help......actually it would be nice to meet all the sarai
fellows who are located in Bombay. If people are interested maybe we
could set a date.

Regards
sheba