[Reader-list] first posting independet fellow...

Kamal Kumar Mishra kamal_bhu at rediffmail.com
Sat Jan 28 14:15:59 IST 2006

  Hi friends,
             I am Kamal.I am a student of history,doing M.Phil. from Delhi University.I like sharing ideas and meeting new people.The topic i am working on is "HINDI HRIDYASTHALI MEN JASUSI UPANYASON V INKE PATHKON KA EK SAMAJIK ITIHAS"{A Social history of detective novels and their readership in the Hindi Heartland}.

    The term for Detective fiction in Hindi is Jasusi Upanyas.Like novel,detective novel too, came from the west in the late 19th century and was first translated into Bangla and then into other Indian languages.still,one can see a marked difference between the established western conception of "detective fiction" and Hindi "jasusi upanyas".For these jasusi fictions their engajement with the issues like identity,crime ,law n order is crucial.Thus, situating them in their proper context these detective fictions{jasusi upanyas},through their narrative techniques and environment ,could help us understand various issues related to identity,family,n society

   I would try to look at publishing ,writing n reading,the three aspects,of these jasusi fictions.In 1890's the professionalization of the writer-publishers and fiction monthlies not only created a more regular demand but ensured the supply as well.Thus distribution of these fictions demands a systematic study ,the area to which first section of my study would be focused at.The Second section of my proposed study would be based on the analysis of these "texts".Here I would try to locate the works of well known authors like Devaki Nandan Khatri,Gopal Ram Gahmari,Ramkrishna Varma and other less known or unknown writers like Sashdhar Dubey of Mohan Series or Col.Ranjeet in their proper context.Third section would be centred around the readership of these jasusi fictions in 1920's n 1930's.Here i 'll be using the issue registers of Bharati Bhawan Library,Allahabad as my  primary source.
              Looking for valuable information and comments...

Regards!!!
kamal.