[Reader-list] Nangla's Delhi - June 24th to 30th

CM@Nangla nangla at cm.sarai.net
Mon Jul 3 18:32:10 IST 2006

New posts on Nangla's Delhi
http://nangla.freeflux.net

Going Home, by Jaanu
30.06.2006

When Jaanu went home from Delhi for a few days, he described Nangla to his
baba, beginning with happiness, and turning to its condition in the days of
its demolition.

“Baba, where I live, there are big houses and small houses. Most of the
houses are small. You know, like the little mud hut near the row of
flowering plants in front of the house.”

“Son, how do people sustain themselves?”

Read whole post Comments (1)

A Good Way To Remember Old Times, by Lakhmi
28.06.2006

As soon as I entered Nangla, I heard a clear sound. It was from a
harmonium. Someone was playing the tune of an old film song. But his
fingers did not sound practiced. I wondered where source of the sound was.
The tune faltered more than once, but it wasn't difficult to recognise the
song.

[Read whole post] Comments (1)

Raindrops, by Neelofar
27.06.2006

Today raindrops have stilled things in Nangla for a while. Rubble from
broken houses, dust in the air – they have settled with the rain and a
cooling sensation emits from them. Today cool wind blows in the lanes of
Nangla, which seems to be trying to carry drying clothes, black tarpaulin
sheets which make roofs, curtains on the doors with it. Today the wind is
stirring everything within its reach.

[Read whole post] Comments (1)

Rainfall in Nangla, by Jaanu
27.06.2006

[I]
It's 9:00 AM. Black clouds have overtaken the sky. It is quiet around
Nangla. Cars are speeding by on the Ring Road. Suddenly, water starts to
pour down from the sky. Bikes stop and young men driving them take shelter
under the bus stand. Very few people from Nangla have stepped out today.
Those who have, have covered themselves with black tarpaulin sheets.

[Read whole post] Comments (2)

Preparing for the Monsoons, by Shamsher
27.06.2006

Nangla's morning began at 10:30 AM today. Everyone may have woken up at day
break, but the early morning downpour kept everyone indoors. The day was
thrown back by an hour by the rains. The day's chores began a few hours
late, and will have ended later than they usually do. There are additional
tasks to be done as well – like sealing the cracks on roofs. Materials
accumulating for months on the roofs of homes have to be cleared and a new
place found for them. Garbage has to be discarded. Disarranged tarpaulin
sheets have to be placed again carefully on the iron rods that make the
framework of the roof, and rejoined at the edges.

[Read whole post]

An Earthen Postcard from JP, by Babli
24.06.2006

[Image]

Dear Friends,

For some time now, we have been thinking of ways in which it can be
possible to allow for fresh images of Nangla Maachi to appear in the eyes
of those who live in our locality, JP basti. One of the things we have done
is to paint the couplet “It quenches the thirst of the thirsty, such is
Nangla; It shelters those who come to the city of Delhi, such is Nangla”
on matkas (earthen pitchers which cool water, popular in the summers), and
to place these in different places in the locality.

[Read whole post] Comments (1)