[Reader-list] Review of Irshad Manji's book

Shohini Ghosh shohini at vsnl.com
Tue Jul 4 13:01:21 IST 2006

Dear Vikhar Ahmad: I read your review of Irshad Manji's `The Trouble
with Islam Today' with great interest. I agree to a very large extent
with your comments about her (frequently naive) political stance on
many issues, most notoriously, on the Israel Palestinian conflict.
Your review however underplays the dillemma that she outlines very
early in her book : "Can Islam and homosexulaity be
reconciled?"  (Page 23) I think this idea is pretty central to the
book. Whether or not one agrees with her formulations, it has to be
taken seriously.   Had you engaged with the powerful role that desire
plays - of which sexual orientation is an integral part - you may
have hesitated to conclude that  "She [Irshad Manji] doesn't talk
about female suicide bombers and we can be sure that they don't blow
themselves up because of the seventy virgins in paradise". Well, we
can't be so sure, can we?  Besides, how many better reasons are there
to die? Warmly Shohihi