[Reader-list] Fwd: Cultivasian magazine launched

Zulfiqar Shah shahzulf at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 11 22:21:48 IST 2006

From: Savita Vij [mailto:savita.vij at cultivasian.org]
Sent: 06 July 2006 16:50
To: Bala Thakrar
Subject: Background Information about Cultivasian

  Hi,

  We are launching an online fortnightly magazine (July 2006) CultivAsian where minorities can be the source of debates about everyday society, culture and politics.

  This will be subscribed to by academic researchers, actors, artists, charities, entrepreneurs, environmentalists, policymakers, think tanks and individuals looking for creative and stimulating events/information about a wide-range of issues.

  There are a number of ways in which you can contribute.

  v      Becoming a regular editorial contributor and writing comment pieces around 500 words on topical issues for a section called “In Conversation With”.
  v      Sending in ad hoc observation pieces between 500-1000 Words for “In Conversation With”.
  v      Provide details of interesting campaigns, debates, exhibitions, festivals, literature, shopping experiences etc. for our events guide.
  v      Post regular 150-200 word critical reviews on debates, exhibitions etc.
  v      Pass on information about this site to others you know may be interested.

  I’ve provided some background information about the site below and will send out a link to the test site in two weeks time.

  If you would like to write for us or have any other queries please contact me.

  Kind regards
  Savita Vij
  Editor
  CultivAsian

  Email: savita.vij at cultivasian.org
  Moile: 07930365934

  CULTIVASIAN

  We want to embrace the multitude of ways in which complex and even contradictory everyday cultural identities are expressed:

  You can be a Satyajit Ray film lover and still be a fan of Amitabh Bachchan.
  You can be an avid follower of news in the subcontinent yet a campaigner for civil liberties in Britain.
  You can read Meera Syal or Gabriella Garcia Marquez

  Most of us, however, don’t have immediate access to information about a wide-ranging number of campaigns, events, literature, etc.  More importantly we just don’t have time.

  CultiVasian will provide a free comprehensive up-to-date information guide to books you won’t want to put down, cultural events you want to share information about to charity events you will want to participate in.

  We hope that this can liven up your journey, give you an opportunity to meet new travellers and maybe even take a diversion or new direction.

  WHAT ARE WE CULTIVATING?

   A platform to EXPRESS wide-ranging ideas about everyday art, culture and politics.
   A space to EXPLORE events, literature, research opportunities etc.
   A medium to ENGAGE with artists, activists and thinkers across cultural, community, discipline and ethnic/faith borders.

  WHY ARE WE DOING THIS?

   To open up creative and INDEPENDENT spaces for thinking and responding to current affairs.
   To allow greater scope for individuals to PARTICIPATE in and SHAPE civil society.
   To ENRICH public debate and action by facilitating dialogue between thinkers from across different backgrounds.

  HOW ARE WE GOING TO DELIVER?

   Providing LISTINGS information about things to do, see, listen to i.e. events, music, campaigns, courses, films etc.
   Developing a DATABASE of academics, activists, artists, journalists, researchers etc.
   Providing LINKS to organisations, projects and institutions that you can get involved with i.e. reading/ writing groups, development work, social campaigns, film festivals etc.
   Invite readers to post critical REVIEWS on books, films, lectures etc.
   Creating a forum for you to post and respond to regular editorial OPINIONS on issues that matter to you.

  Presentation is a leading Social Investment Agency - committed to investing in communities.

  Confidentiality Notice: This email and any files transmitted
  with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of
  the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.If you
  have received this email in error please notify your Systems
  Administrator.

  This footnote also confirms that this email message has
  been scanned for the presence of computer viruses.

http://www.star.net.uk

individual to whom it is addressed. The contents of this message will
not be in any way binding upon the Big Lottery Fund. Opinions, conclusions, contractual obligations and other information in this message, in so far as they relate to the official business of the Big Lottery Fund, must be specifically confirmed in writing by the Big Lottery Fund. If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this email in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this email is strictly prohibited.