[Reader-list] Wrong medicine harms 1.5 m in US

Isaac souweine isouweine at gmail.com
Thu Jul 27 09:33:09 IST 2006

Jeebesh:

Thank you for posting this. Over the past two years, my father has bravely
and successfully battled leukemia. Of the many things I did not know about
myself and the world before this experience, one of the most surprising was
the incredible vigilance that is required to successfully navigate a
high-tech allopathic medical system. Though medical technologies (radiation,
chemotherapy, stem cell transfusions) and skilled practitioners are
responsible for saving my dad, the quality of the care that he received is
directly correlated to his and my mother's willingness to ask questions,
offer up information and draw their own conclusions, which is to say, their
unwillingness to blindly trust a system that is deeply prone to error.

Best,
Isaac