[Reader-list] There has been a change of plan: Raqs Media Collective

Monica Narula monica at sarai.net
Mon Jul 31 11:56:26 IST 2006

dear Jose-Carlos

Thanks for your mail. It opens up many questions. Some responses, far
from 'explanatory' and perhaps starting strands of thought...

- The art context in India is primarily around what is termed as the
"visual arts". 95% of the works shown and transacted are paintings.
Followed at a distance by sculptures/objects and then the rare
photographic show. Photography has yet to find a stable space, though
there is some important work being done in this domain. It is only in
the last few years that there has been somewhat of a shift towards
the showing of video works and some installation work. These works
are emerging both from established and newer artists, and basically
have a wider circulation outside India.

- It is extremely difficult for someone with a non-visual arts
background to enter the art context here. The reasons for this are
yet to be researched and understood. The recent entry of some
documentary practitioners in to this context is due more to their
international presence rather than any serious rethinking of the
values and consensus that run the art contexts here. (The documentary
film on the other hand has had for many years a decent and at times
controversial public presence, and a committed public around it.)

- This situation will hopefully change over the next few years, with
more diverse kinds of practitioners making interesting works and
staking a claim in the art space - which we think has begun. This
process will be interesting as it will mean changes in the ways 'art
practice' sees itself in relation to other practices and also to ways
in which new publics can and will emerge around the domain of the
'art context'.

- We have shown our CD works (GVHM, No_des and Ectropy) in Delhi and
Bangalore and these works have a circulation (also as cds). Also many
of our works travel - lightly - through publications and the web. In
terms of installation, we could not find a context to show (we have
shown a few works within means affordable to us in Sarai). This is
slowly going to loosen up over the next decade, as art contexts will
probably become more curious to practices from other domains.

- It is an interesting process how many of our installation works
emerge, and expectedly a complex one. Works have emerged through
conversations and the sharing of ideas and questions with some
extremely curious and sharp people in many parts of the world. (I
would not club them all together in any one idea of an institutional
context.). In this let me share a recent interaction. A young curator
located between Lithuania and Sweden has been in dialogue with us for
more than two years. We share ideas, critiques, questions, resources
etc. Over this period he has invited us to think on an idea that has
been exciting and troubling him for some time. This process of
thinking may find an expression in an installation to be first hosted
in a place that he has access to, which will definitely by outside
India. As a process, we find this exciting and challenging, along
with our work here in Sarai/Delhi. And i do think that such an
interaction - whether from a 'local' context or a 'global' one -
deserves respect and engagement.

- Some of our work has emerged from collaboration and in 'neutral'
grounds. This made possible very intriguing dialogues and processes.
Sometimes I do wish that we could ourself host a few of these
unpredictable encounters.

- We are yet fully to understand the complex processes that we are
all part of in today's world and will give ourselves a few more years
before we find ourselves able to speak definitively on 'publics' and
'places'. We have found very demanding and challenging interlocutors
and viewers in many different ways and places. This has made our own
map of the world more dense and knotty, and not merely defined by
national borders.

best