[Reader-list] Nangla's Delhi - 15 May to 6 June

CM@Nangla nangla at cm.sarai.net
Fri Jun 9 21:47:16 IST 2006

New posts on Nangla's Delhi
http://nangla.freeflux.net

Postcard from JP, by Saifuddin
[ Nangla Elsewhere ]

>From up above, in the sky.

I think I may fall, what if I do! But what have I to fear? God has, after
all, made me to fly. But some of the others like me live the fear more
intimately, and have begun to shy from flying. Perhaps it is the sights
that they see which makes them fearful. I remember one such sight. Brick
after brick was falling apart. It was a heart-wrenching sight. From the
sky, people flocking and moving from where they live looked like us flock
of birds. Constantly on the move. But when their place of abode is
destroyed, what is it that they go out to seek? Is it for a new home? A new
set of troubles and woes? A new identity? A new recognition or regard from
the city? But from here, up above in the sky, from where I watch them, I
feel all of this will not be possible...

[Read whole post]

Entering Narela
[ The Journey After ]

The Street Lamp at the entrance to Narela Subcity, a resettlement colony
far from the city, lights Narela, but turns its face from the path that
leads away from it. The five year lease of the land allotees expires this
year.
Photo by Shamsher Ali.

[Read whole post]

Entering Ghewda, by Lakhmi
[ The Journey After ]

As far as the eye could see, there was flat land. Not a single construction
could be seen. No sound reached the ears. Criss-crossing lines made by
tractors, cycles and feet stretched from below my feet and traveled on. The
land is dry. Divided up like small tracts of land for farming, it has
soaked any water it has got. Eyes search for a trace of the city, search
for a semblance of a house-like structure. The ears seek a trace of human
voice.

[Read whole post]

A Song In the City
[ Daily Life ]

[Videos]

[Read whole post]

The Road Opposite Nanglamachi
[ Daily Life ]

[Animation]

"A cooling river and a pair of hissing serpants flank Nanglamachi. The
river is the Yamuna, and the serpants are the two wide lanes of the Ring
Road with their speeding traffic. Even stranger clasp each others' hands to
navigate across the Ring Road." [A popular description of the Ring Road, at
Nangla.]

Conversation with a journalist
[ Eviction ]

At the time of demolition, and in talking about demolition, what gets lost
is the making of the space. People who live in Nangla have come from Bihar,
Assam, Uttar Pradesh, etc. They came into the city, and perhaps were
already living somewhere, when to save their rent, they started to make a
new space instead. People do not settle somewhere to take over land.

[Read whole post]

CM Lab, Nangla Maanchi

http://nangla.freeflux.net
http://nangla-maachi.freeflux.net

It quenches the thirst of the thirsty,
Such is Nangla,
It shelters those who come to the city of Delhi,
Such is Nangla.