[Reader-list] Queer conversations about the city

sheba tejani shebatejani at gmail.com
Sat Jun 17 16:09:41 IST 2006

Hi everyone,

This is my next posting for my project- Queer conversations about the
city. I've created an album of working stills that I took while
working on the visuals for one of the four scripts planned for the
piece.

http://saraiproject.gfoto.com

This particular script deals with the experience of travelling on
trains, from a queer lens, and has the two protaganists discussing
their experiences and points of view, their observations and fears. We
shot these stills at Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus in Bombay, still
known commonly as VT (short for Victoria Terminus). VT can be
overwhelming because of the sheer number of people that pass through
it every single day and travelling on the train most times feels like
a battle. But when the train pulls in here, there is suddenly a
feeling of release because of the sheer breadth and scale of its
interiors, quite unlike most other stations in Bombay. If you keep
your head tilted upwards, especially, the sights are rewarding.....

It was difficult to shoot here because of the constant surveillance by
the railway police and of course curious passengers. The last we heard
they had installed cameras to keep an eye on "miscreants"! But we're
hoping to return there and shoot some more...

cheers
sheba