[Reader-list] (no subject)

rochelle pinto rochellepinto at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 19 13:50:03 IST 2006

I found Varavara Rao's poem poignant and politically charged. It is a
pity though that middle class women's sexuality is still such a
convenient target for leftist opposition to middle class culture. (Since this
is the one thing that unites the left and every other party in India, I
see no problem in clubbing Varavara Rao with every other leftist
organisation)

If one asks why the high visibility of middle class sexuality evokes
such a response, it will probably be met with a predictable and vulgar
combination of repressive ideas of what 'good' and 'bad' sexuality are,
what tradition is, and what the public role of revolutionary women
should be. The phrase 'cute little girls' is both condescending and
politically blind. It is a mistake for Varavara Rao to imagine that the female
anti-reservation activists are unable to hold their own political views
because they are so attentive to their appearance. It is disappointing
that a writer and activist whose life and work are much respected,
cannot find other means of criticism beyond 'chiffon saris and punjabi
dresses and breasts carrying ...stethoscopes'.