[Reader-list] [Urbanstudy] Conflict versus Violence

anant m anant_umn at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jun 20 19:56:23 IST 2006

Perhaps it will be useful to reflect for a moment what
reading sometimes does ?
I read Zainab's post, and froze.... my mind refusing
to translate into words the pulsation in my head. How
does one translate into words an urge to do something
about the crouched cow ?, the desire for space that is
amenable to adjust maadi ? the need for a secure place
to which you belong, even if it is only a seat on the
bus ?
I left the computer, spent an hour aimlessly grooming
my cats, took the bus to dinkytown -the image of which
brought me to this cold country six years ago. It was
here in a bar that Bob Dylan started his career many
decades ago. All things being equal, the only way I
could decide on which university to go to was settled
by the possibility of hanging out at DinkyTown. The
home I left behind dissolved into a powerful potion of
words, images, metaphors ...the materiality of which
was so unbearable and incomprehensible...the scent of
blood and sweat in the city that grew so overpowering
in just a matter of five years from 1995 and finally
made me retreat...it was now avaiable to me only in
words.

My first encounter with the absurdity of it all was
during the 2000 elections when I asked a colleague
what were the common techniques of election rigging in
the US. The woman was shocked beyond words. What ?
Rigging ? America is a democracy! As news started
trickling in from Florida, I sort of felt embarrassed
at the prospect of running into her in the corridors.
Five years later, she sent me the transcript of a
recent talk by Jimmy Carter, ex president who promotes
democracy world over where he categorically said that
the Carter Center does not monitor elections in the US
because theoretically the US just cannot have free and
fair elections! Theoretically the US cannot have free
and fair elections! yet the Democracy Center carves up
the world into neat little pieces and ranks them in
democracy scores...the US always being 100 per cent
and the rest having to measure up to it and the
American that is not offended by the suggestion that
their elections could be rigged is a rarity.

As I walked through Dinky Town strip malls after
reading Zainab's email... I remembered my early
struggles with textuality and with theory. I presented
a compilation of articles on agrarian violence in
Andhra Pradesh written by Balagopal to a young
professor. He avoided eye contact with me for a few
weeks and when I finally caught up with him, he said:
I am stunned. How can we theorize this ? How can we
represent such corporal violence in words and images ?
There is something of the materiality that always
remains in excess of what words can represent...that
demands other responses. What do we do with that
excess ?
Five years on, that question now brings Alice's words
to mind: What if I should fall right through the
center of the earth... oh, and come out the other
side, where people walk upside down.
Writing and theory I think some times happen because
there is always something in excess of the materiality
of the world. It happens because there is no space for
adjust maadi and we want to know why. We write and
theorize because, we are unable to make room for a
secure belonging for that child selling ear buds.
because we see something of ourselves in the cow's
struggle to stand up with dignity. because through
writing, we seek to stand up with dignity, make room
for ourselves, create  belongings in solidarity. the
funny thing though is that success in that venture is
never a lasting one. when i read zainab's email the
first time, I felt as if there was nothing more to be
said. that was why my mind refused to translate into
words the pulsation in my head. but this morning, i
knew i had something to put into words.
anant
--- zainab

=== message truncated ===