[Reader-list] INDU VERMA - 6th Posting: money, madness & morality

Indu Verma induverma_virgo at yahoo.co.in
Wed Jun 28 10:32:30 IST 2006

Money, Madness and Morality (6th Posting)

  by: Indu Verma

  The famous ALFRED HITCHCOCK was once questioned by one of his Actors ....

  Sir, what is my MOTIVATION to enter the room?

  Hitchcock replied,  YOUR SALARY.

  So, the important factor called Motivation should always be addressed on priority basis. And  the motivating factor for the television industry is TRP.

  This is a place where Money of course is God and TRP is the boss.

  Sorry, we are not here to use this medium

  As an art form or
  A medium of giving a social message or
  A medium of pure entertainment or
  A source of documenting true stories or
  A source of dramatizing fiction

  It is only a mode of minting MONEY, it is only a source of earning “Gold Plated” Bread & Butter, it is only BUSINESS.

  Among the maddening world of soaps, I happened to once shake hands with a Medical Awareness Show where I was to Anchor the show with an Animated Character as my co-actor.
  On the initial narration, I was pretty hesitant about doing it because I was an Alien to this world which was (as  far as the script and acting style was concerned) new to me. It did not have the regular features of a daily, weekly or an episodic show. It also sounded boring to go on talking without anybody around because the Animated Character was to be created in post-production.

  But I agreed to do it. Just for money. Not once did I think that I'll be the one, making people aware of the Deadly Diseases like AIDS and HIV. We, the Actors are in a way, a medium to help create a better society, portraying the D o's and the don't s.

  Anyway, we started shooting. Suddenly,I was on a set where I had this strange feeling of loneliness. With no actor around, I felt a little out of place. As the episodes went by, I realized, that because the Producers were unable to cope up with the required shooting speed, they started chopping the extra bit which they thought could be filled in with the voice-overs. In a way, the motivation was to complete two episodes in a day, which was only possible with this solution. Fair enough, but what about the extra information which possibly could help in any way.

  More so, none of the popular channels have this as a running show on prime time. Is it because they are not interested showing or nobody is interested watching. The remote control is the easy way for you but replacement of the show is the only solution for us.

  And I may not get my money if the running show is discontinued because probably the production house might not get the same from the Channel. For that matter, there is a possibility of Channel not getting money from sponsors who might feel that they were not marketed or publicized enough because of the non-popularity of the show. The Channel might blame the Producers for a bad show who in return might say that the publicity wasn't good enough on Channel's part.

  And the blame game continues.......

  Popular is the key word and every body wants and got to stick to it. You may say, we have no morals for we show all kind of bull-shit on television, which is so unreal, so unbelievable, so predictable, same in all shows, yet we don't mind repeating the same. As long as we are paid, we are here to stay.

  I am no one to even talk on this issue as I myself am a part of the industry under scanner. All allegations are true to any extent.

  Because if I start questioning the content, I will be shown the Exit Door. I dare not do that or for that matter anybody cannot. We are mere puppets and the strings are in the hands of the masters........ The Channel.

  But, come to think of it, the Channel will produce, market and telecast the shows which are able to return their cost with profit. And the shows will make profit only if there is viewer ship in return. So it is a cyclic movement which probably might change when diverted to a different orbital path.

  Who will take the initiative?