[Reader-list] why is a certain film hit? suggestions

mamta mantri bawree at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 6 02:47:43 IST 2006

Me saw a Bhojpuri film “Tohar Kiriya” (“Tumhari
Kasam”/“I swear on you”) for the first time ever. The
film reminded of “Nadiya Ke Paar” the Rajshri film.
(Of course, I assumed it would a violent film, but to
my surprise, it was a love story in the backdrop of
family, the posters were not very clear about the
subject, or may be I was expecting something
elsse!!!!). Everything was typically Bollywoodish, but
the treatment of the male character, played by Ravi
Kishen, was attention grabbing. His emotions were more
unambiguous than ever. His wife does not allow him to
touch her etc.etc. and the mounting frustration gets
very apparent (he loses his anger every time he sees
his wife, picks up a fight with her, and yet take good
care of her). The whole attitude towards sex as the
only meaning of marriage is soooo different from the
mainstream Bollywood stuff, where only flowers signify
a kiss and etc, etc.

Anyways, moving further,,, I was at Royal Cinema and
chatting with one of the employees. I understand from
him that a certain film called “Balwaan” (Sunil
Sheety, Divya Bharati, and Danny Denzompa) did not
work well and had to be removed in 4 days flat.
Instead “Jigar” (Ajay Devgan, Karishma Kapoor) was put
on and is attracting houseful.
The question: Both the films are equally violent, full
of explicit dialogues and flesh and good music (both
fulfill the entire criterion for a successful film
there), yet one works and the other doesn’t.
Interestingly, Nishaat, the theatre opposite was
showing “Daata” (Mithun) and the numbers dwindled
there the moment “Jigar” ran in Royal.
I asked the people around for answers:
•	“Jigar” has better music than the other
•	‘Time factor’ is an important aspect in the working
of the film. “Balwaan” must have not worked because it
must have been shown in some other theatre 2-3 months
ago.
•	Of Course, the star factor
People prefer Ajay Devgan
any time here.

Just to complicate things here, a musical film like
“Sanam Bewafa”(Salman Khan, Pran, Danny) attracts more
audience than “Apaharan”(Ajay Devgan, Nana Patekar).
The latter is a definite flop along with “Company” and
“Satya” in this area.
m trying to understand how does a film work with
audience????????

I am searching and open to more ideas and
interpretations

mamta