[Reader-list] Fwd: Summer Internship Programme - tsunami reconstruction projects

chintan gohil chintichinti at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 9 16:31:27 IST 2006

Dear All,

SIFFS (South Indian Federation of Fishermen Societies)
is doing two tusnami reconstruction projects in
Nagapattinam District, Tamil Nadu, in the east coast
of India. One involves the construction of about 400
houses and another project involves about 1200 houses.

The details of the projects such as the salient
features, the approach, how it is being done etc. can
be seen in the website exclusively for the project.
www.tarangambadi.in

We want to customize each house and there is a
dialogue with each of the house owners at every stage
of the construction. Construction of more than 100
houses have begun. Both the projects are going to be
done with the participation of the beneficiaries and
not through any contractors.

In addiition to the designing of the new houses, there
is the repair and upgradation of some of the existing
houses which are being done. Tarangambadi is a
historic town with a Danish Fort (1620 A D) and a
temple (14thC AD) etc.

Also SIFFS is not interested in just designing houses,
but the settlement as a whole. We have done some
studies, but still more to be done.

>From the 15th of April 2006 onwards, we would like to
start a summer internship programme. The programme
will be there till July 15th. There will be some
lectures, field visits and site experience is also
there.

The programme is open to architects, planners, urban
designers,sociologists, civil engineers including the
students. The number of participants are limited to 25
at one point of time. The participants have to spend
at least two weeks in the village and can get involved
in the various aspects of the project.

SIFFS will be providing a simple accommodation in the
village itself. Food is also given free. The
participants of internship programme will have to pay
for their travel. Hotel accommodation at a twin
sharing basis can be arranged for Rs.300/- per person
per night.

Please tell your friends, students etc. Those who are
interested, please send the details to the following
email address
bennykuriakose at gmail.com.

With Best Regards,
Benny Kuriakose.