[Reader-list] 2nd posting...

Kamal Kumar Mishra kamal_bhu at rediffmail.com
Mon Mar 20 10:58:00 IST 2006

  Mahmood bhai,
              sabse pahle to mujhe der se reply ke liye maaf kariyega wajah ye ki main is waqut dilli me nahin hoon.

        as i have mentioned in my first posting,the production of the jasusi fiction begins in the last decade of the 19th century when these fictions have been translated first in bengali and then in other indian languages i.e. hindi.As far as golden age is concerned i think there is not just one.so far ,my findings tend to suggest that there is a continuity of such publications.Its true that  the earlier decades (1890's-1910's) saw the establishment of monthlies(Upamyas daftars) in benaras and some other centres which are devoted to the publication of detective fictions.but again we see in 20's n 30's people like gopal ram gahmari and jayram das gupta publishing these fiction monthlies from gahmar n benaras respectively.Railway pustak mala series is one such example(publishing detective stories in 20's n 30's).yes in some ways,60's 70's n 80's are the decades when the scale of such publications seems to be huge.with the emergence of new centres like Allahabad ,Meeruth n Delhi along with centres like mathura n agara.In this very period we see nikhat publication (allahabad )publishing translations of famous urdu afsananigar Ibne Safi in hindi under the title jasusi duniya,monthlies like" suspense" being published from delhi,n serial publications of col.Ranjeet,om prakash Kamboj,n ved prakash sharma earlier from Meeruth n then from delhi.Delhi n Meeruth remained the two major centres of novel publishing even in the 90's.In fact i have no clue of indrajal n other such publications.i ll be more than happy if you could suggest some thing related to.
regards!!!
kamal.

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 mahmood farooqui wrote :
> [...]
>present days, or magazine boom which I think happens in the sixties and late
>seventies or novel and book publishing boom which again happens in the
>90s...so how does the production of detective fiction relate to the larger
>hindi publishing scene--and also add to it the heyday of indrajal comics and
>amar chitra katha and of rajan iqbal etc...
>
>thanks,
>mahmood
>
>On 5 Mar 2006 10:55:43 -0000, Kamal Kumar Mishra <kamal_bhu at rediffmail.com>
>wrote:
> >
> > sorry for the delay.Following is my 2nd posting regarding publishing of
> > jasusi-upanyas in Hindi.
> >

> > Commercial publishing: issues are not resolved,                      story
> > has been left untold

> > As we know writing and publishing "jasusi "fiction has become a highly
> > profitable business in due course of time. For the flourishing Hindi
> > publishing industry, this particular genre proved to be a boon. We see many
> > people trying their luck in novel writing and publishing. And some times
> > even without any commitment or a sense of responsibility towards their
> > readers. Dehati pustak Bhandar Chawari Bazar ,Delhi could well be taken as
> > an example of such publications. Established in 1930's(Reg.1936) by Late
> > Lala Dhum Mal,Dehati Pustak Bhandar happened to be one of the pioneer
> > publications of Delhi as far as jasusi fictions are concerned .
> >
> > In the two novels –" Bahram Ki Khoj dilchaspjasusiupanyas"and "Tilasmi
> > Gupt Khajana" written by,anekon pustakon ke rachaita (writer of many books)
> > Hukum Chand , one can see the reflections of these very tendencies. We don't
> > get to know the year of publication of these novels.The price of these
> > novels is a rupee and a half. But the claims are not so small as this
> > "ishtehar" (summary as well) also suggests:
> >
> > Riyasat vijay nagar ke mahlon rajyadhikarion dwara rache gaye ek
> > bhyanak kadyantra ka varnan aap ko is upanyas men bade hi  rochak shali
> > men milega .Sath hi vikhyat Bahram ka vilayat men wahan ke prasidh daku
> > Areseen Lopen se mukabla padhne se sambandh rakhta hai.Dr.Gopal aur
> > rajkumar Romi aur mantri Sahapal ke kam prasansa ke yogya hain.MaharajaVijay Chand kiMantri ki putri ko syahposhon ki kaid se chuda lena ek aisi
> > ghatna hai padhne se sambandh rakhti hai. yogya lekhak ki lekhni prashansa
> > ke yogya hai.Tiranga cover,sundar kagaj tatha chpai.Mulya 1.50.
> >
> > But the threads of narrative are left unconnected and issues are not
> > resolved ,as my reading suggests. For example we don't get to know ,at all,
> > what was the secret that Raja wanted to hide from Romi (his son) and why?
> > What was the secret of the 'safed kagaj'(Plane paper) :
> >
> >           Vijay Chand: yadi mujhe malum hota ki Romi mujhse itna
> >                       Jaldi vida ho jayega to mai wah kagaj use dikha
> >                     Deta jiske liye usne bar –bar iccha prakat ki
(p.102)

> >                          -      -        -
> >
> >       Vijay Chand: ek kaam aap aur kijiye is safed kagaj ko
jab wah
> >                     aslee halat men aa jaye to mujhe de den. (p.108)
> >
> > Who was Bahram ka GURU GHANTAAL,was it Raja or Some one else?And if Raja
> > was the real Bahram then the Writer never attests it:
> >
> > Dr.Gopal: "
bees varsh pahle kitne daler the-sansar aap se
> >             kaanpta tha. Kewal un baton ko aur is bhed ko
> >             main hi to janta hoon
aap aaj raja hain par kal