[Reader-list] One more candle for Manipur

Sebastian Rodrigues sebydesiolim at cacim.net
Sat Mar 11 22:13:22 IST 2006

March 11 2006

Hello and Greetings of Solidarity!

Today afternoon I shared some moments at protest demonstration in
Delhi condemning arrest and torture of Miss Naobi in Manipur. It was
one more torture among the thousands tortured and done to death by
State terror in North East.  I join the protesters with my lighted
candle with the hope that it may dispel horror and darkness.  May
this candle be the doyen of hope and courage to all those who stand
up and fight in defence of Human Rights, Dignity and moreover another
world that is breathing beneath our chests. Let this candle show us
the way to the doors and windows and ultimately open them up for
sunlight to usher in and bring the gory reality in daring day light
for each on to see and each one to heal. gather up your strength,
pick up your candle and pass on the light to everyone in your family,
in your village, in your State and in your country. For no longer can
we afford loss and torture of any more life of People in North East
India. For no longer can we afford to loose any more lives of the
soldiers. India has already lost too may soldiers for past half a
decade and it is not at all a matter of pride but of deep concern.
For no longer can we afford hatred and brutality. We need
understanding, trust, affection and love instead. With these thoughts
in my heart I pass on my candle to you. The leaflet reproduced below
I received at the demonstration today. It is my candle. Pass it on...

Sebastian Rodrigues
CACIM, New Delhi.

STOP STATE TERRORISM IN MANIPUR

It has been hardly two years since women of Manipur staged a historic
protest by shedding their clothes off against the rape and murder of
Th. Manoram by the 17th Assam Rifles.  the world showed its
solidarity to them and demanded repealing of the armed Forces Special
Powers Act, 1958. Among the most painful incidents of military
excesses in Manipur, the recent detention and torture of Miss Naobi
has once more captured the focus of the democratic struggle against
human rights violations in the State.

Miss Naobi, a private school teacher , was picked up on 21st February
evening, when she came to attend the last rite of Vikas, who was
killed in an encounter with the Manipur police commandos on 20th
February. In a Press conference on 2nd March in Imphal, she presented
her tortured body to narrate the encounter with the savagery of the
Manipur police for the 9 days in their custody. Her narratives bear
testimony to the enormity of injustice done to the custodial victims.

She sobbed, "...The police commandos got themselves gratified with
everything they want from my body. But, I am grateful to them for
giving me the chance to narrate my agony by sparing my life at least..."

After the ritual, she was in a room with two other girls. Though she
was aware of the presence of Manipur police commandos, she was not
apprehensive of the presence as she thought she was innocent and they
had nothing to do with her.  However, to her surprise, the commandoes
ordered that she, along with the other two girls, should come out. As
soon as she went out alone the commandos pulled her by hair. She was
pounded and later dumped into the police van.  they left the place at
around 3 pm.  Somewhere between nowhere, seemingly  at a roadside,
the police van stopped. She did not know where the van stopped as she
was blindfolded.

She said: "They forced me to undress, I resisted but their
threatening presence made my resistance gave in.  I did as they
wished. They were laughing to see my body.  they said, I looked like
an AIDS infested.  They measured my body parts.  They teased me
telling I go a bad odor".

She was again thrown into the police van. Inside the van, her body
faced with the savagery of the police commandos.  they touched her
private parts and played with them.  She cried for help when she
heard some vehicles moving around. She was gagged. And the commandos
were enjoying with the body.

The torture continued till they reached the custody by 7 pm. In the
custody, she was asked to change dress in front of the male gaze.
She did it. During her detention for nine days, she encountered heavy
tortures, humiliations, insults and lacerations.  On 23rd February
she was taken to the Chief Judicial Magistrate's office. She pleaded
her innocence and told the CJM about the tortures she got from the
police personnel.  The Magistrate, instead of recording her
statement, reprimanded her for another seven days. Later, she was
taken to another police station.

A widespread movement voiced for Naobi's safe release. She was
released from the custody 'without any condition' on  2 March with a
brutally tortured body, deeply wounded psyche and painfully dislodged
dignity. What is her fault? Why do the State forces institutionalize
violation of human rights?  Why has woman's body been always targeted
to exercise 'armed  authority' of the State?  These are the queries
that the democratic struggle poses against the rampant violation of
human rights in the State.

Let's resist the savagery of the State forces;

let's fight for the HUMAN RIGHTS and DIGNITY.

Published by the Manipur Students' Association, Delhi, Dated 11th
March 2006