[Reader-list] Second Posting: Budhaditya Chattopadhyay

budhaditya chattopadhyay budhaditya_chattopadhyay at rediffmail.com
Thu Mar 23 21:59:53 IST 2006

Hi All

My second posting is coming late because I was in Germany for the last one month and was traveling a lot. I was invited to the Berlinale Talent Campus of the Berlin International Film Festival, 2006 from India. It was wonderful to be with fellow film makers from around the world to share views on cinema and allied arts over fuming cups of espresso.
http://tdb.berlinale-talentcampus.de/tdb/index.php/profile?tid=20062202

To me the most important part of my stay in Germany this time was a short workshop and visit to the Berliner Phonogramm-Archiv of Ethnologisches Museum, Berlin. It was a workshop on preservation and restoration of cylinder recordings from late 19th century.
The archive posses around 20,000 such cylinders from around the world when recording techniques were still in incubation. It also has a good number of 78 shellacs. I found a few recordings from India as well, mainly from the Bake cylinder collection, recordings from theatre songs of Bombay Jews settlement. And surprisingly I could also locate a couple of recordings of Sangeetacharya Satyakinkar Bandyopadhyay from Bishnupur Gharana. I did a digital transfer of the recording to an uncompressed wave file in the archive and now working on the noise reduction of the same. In one recording he performs Khayal in raga Malkaus. It is an amazing demonstration of his mastery in Khayal. The composition is set to Taal ‘ada-theka’, the pattern of which is unique in Bishnupur Gharana. In another recording Satyakinkar sings a ‘Bangla Khayal’ in the raga Multani set to drut ektaal. Sangeetacharya Satyakinkar is one of the pioneers of ‘Bangla Khayal’, a very Bengali rendering of a north Indian raga in Bishnupur style with song-text in Bengali. As an additional bonus piece he sings a ‘Nidhu Babu’s Tappa in the raga Sindhu.
Satyakinkar Bandyopadhyay hailed from a musical family from Bishnupur and a pioneer of Bishnupur Gharana Dhrupad.
I am now consulting a few available texts mostly rare on Bishnupur Gharana to construct a genealogical tree of the Gharana. And planning to visit Bishnupur within next two weeks.

Best wishes,

Budhaditya