[Reader-list] third posting

Farhana Ibrahim fi22 at cornell.edu
Tue Mar 28 15:54:05 IST 2006

Apologies for this delay – I hope to become more
regular at these postings once I stop traveling
around in Kachchh and return to some archival research in Delhi and Mumbai.

I still am on my search for some clues about the
lives of the Kachchhi merchants who were once
based in Kachchh and have now moved out in all
kinds of directions. After Jakhau (I discussed it
in my last posting), I moved to Bhadresar,
another old port of Kachchh, close to the
contemporary port of Mundra. Mundra is becoming
highly mechanized – it has been taken over by the
Adanis – and is increasingly the new face of
industrialized Gujarat. On the other hand,
Bhadresar is now little more than an old fishing
village. Once a shallow-water port known as
Bhadravati Nagari and then Bhadresar, it was home
to large shipping magnates of the region. In the
old part of town, and old temple and dargah sit
side by side, frequented by the fishermen and
what is left of the once-thriving port town. It
is almost as though the post-earthquake
reconstruction drive in Kachchh has passed by
this area. Old houses stand disheveled and
dilapidated, but not as a result of the 2001
earthquake. These structures fell apart over time
and have not been rescued from decay by the state
government. Recently a Japanese heritage
conservation project has identified a cluster of
old buildings to restore and maintain. There has
been much controversy among local level leaders
over the proposed plan to restore an old Ismaili
Muslim Jama’at Khana. The Jain temple should be
restored first said the panchayat, then the
Jama’at khana. These divisions are relatively
recent in Kachchh. As far as the villagers are
concerned, they seem to be relatively unconcerned
about these fractious debates. As I walked into
the village with my research assistant, the call
to prayer was sounding from a nearby mosque. He
went in to pray, while I sat outside for him,
admiring the frescoes and sculptures on the
imposing house just across the mosque on the
narrow street. Soon I was engaged in conversation
with an elderly man smoking a bidi next to me.
The Khimji family house that we were admiring so
ardently was once a towering structure of three
storeys. The family lived here while they traded
in Muscat and Zanzibar, dealing in spices and
silks. As they prospered, they decided to add
storeys onto their single floor. Painters were
invited from all over Kachchh to decorate the
facades and sculptors who were employed by the
royal families of the area were secretly spirited
away to embellish the house. They were warned not
to go higher than the dome of the mosque, and
once they did, they began to lose their business.
Then the old man fell and broke his leg. The
upper storeys have never been inhabited again, I
was told. All the villagers know this tale, and
believe it carries a powerful portent for the
future; they bow their heads in respect as they
pass the mosque, regardless of their religious or sectarian allegiances.