[Reader-list] (no subject)

Averee Chaurey avereec at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 28 22:37:05 IST 2006

THIRD POSTING

My next visit was to the Joydev Mela , at Kenduli in Birbhum ,where the
largest number of Bauls congregate.

This was my first visit to Kenduli , a place close to the hearts of all
Bauls . From Kolkata I take the train to Shantiniketan and onwards by taxi
to Kenduli which takes about 2 hours .Kenduli is a small village , on the
banks of the river Ajay . This is the mecca for the Bauls .Kenduli is home
to a shrine of Joydev and Padmabati , whose love story has been sung for
many years . Joydev is the famous poet who wrote `Geet Gobind’. The annual
mela is held here in his honour .

Thousands of people have gathered here for the festival ; as far as the gaze
goes all you can see is countless heads of people .Small tents , about 50 in
number , have mushroomed all over ; all of them housing Bauls .These tents
are known as ` akhras ‘. A huge open stage or Mukta Mancha stands in the
centre .It is from here that I hear beautiful music and get to speak to some
Bauls and Baulinis .Interestingly , I get to meet Purna Das Baul ,who has
been responsible for popularising Baul music all over the world .In spite of
his busy schedule I did get to have a chat with him .He is probably one of
the most famous Bauls around having even found a place on the cover of Bob
Dylan’s 1968 album .I asked him to comment on the current trends of Baul
music ,the publicity it is getting and on Baul fusion .`Most Bauls do not
stick to authentic tunes,’he says,`though the popularity of the music has
brought in a welcome change.’Purna Das thinks the older generation shies
away from the publicity blitz .He is not averse to the idea of Baul fusion
because as long as he chants the name of Krishna ,he thinks it does not mean
drifting away .

As dusk sets in , the crowd has now swollen to scary proportions . I meet a
Baulini who lets me into her small hut .She looks after her Baul sangi
(partner) and rears children .Still she finds time to sing and has inducted
her child into the tradition . I hear the little Chatu Das regale the
audience .He is just 10 years old .

I noticed that the music too has changed . Instruments like harmonium and
tabla which traditionally are not played with Baul songs , now form a part
of their renditions .Group shows with musicians accompanying Bauls seemed to
be an emerging trend .

Yet, the philosophy remains the same :

Dwija Sudra itar bhadra , nai re bhedabhed bichar .
Brahmon ,Kshatriya ,Sudra mile mishe ekakar – Krishna Dasi
(Brahmin Sudra, the high and the low , there is no difference ; all are
mingled together )

The next part of my work will focus more on women Bauls . The gender bias
notwithstanding ,I intend to culminate my work in a play which will
highlight the lives of these Baul women .