[Reader-list] Profiting From A More Creative Copyright

Lawrence Liang lawrence at altlawforum.org
Wed Mar 29 15:47:56 IST 2006

Please come to the forum and spread the word!

Shishir K. Jha

Creative Commons India (http://creativecommons.org & http://cc-india.org)
is organizing a forum, titled: ³Profiting from a more Creative Copyright.²
It is being organized for filmmakers, musicians, artists, writers and
others with a creative persuasion.

Venue: Come Media Foundation, Topiwala Lane School, Lamington Road
City: Mumbai
Date: 1st April, 2006 [Saturday] [5:00 pm to 8:00 pm]

It is being organized with multiple-objectives:

   1. The broad pool of creative professionals are continuously grappling
with the fundamental issues of Copyright law. How does copyright
influence the borrowing, the sharing and the gaining from the creative
process? What are the rights and limitations that copyright places on a
creative individual¹s functioning, growth and professional fulfillment?

   2. The forum will aim to hear, document and share stories of the
denial, abuse and the exploitation of our rights on our creations. Do
individual artists face considerable challenges in legitimately gaining
from and sharing their creative work?

   3. What are some new developments with respect to copyright law
happening across thw world? Why are creative individuals engaging in
more of sharing and the promotion of ³free [access] culture.² How does
the ³economy of sharing² function? What are the pre-requisites for it
to grow and develop?

Discussion of all of this within a single meeting is an ambitious
undertaking. However we intend to seriously build on such a momentum.

This forum would like to create opportunities for us to bond together
with instituions, organizations and individuals who share our
concern for the creative individual and the public role of her creations.

Such forums will be held every few months. The discussions will often be
continued on our blog and elsewhere. These discussions will prepare the
ground for the scope of the activity of Creative Commons India and the
licenses it plans to launch later this year. Please visit the above
web-sites for more information.