[Reader-list] Who is this young girl in a kimono?

parismita singh parismitasingh at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 29 19:12:56 IST 2006

I-Fellow Parismita Singh's research posting.

Read it here with the visuals:

http://parismitasingh.blogspot.com/2006/03/who-is-this-young-girl-in-kimono-and.html

Who is this young girl in a kimono, and other things.

I chanced upon two ' quotations' this week that seemed
interesting in the light of my project.

The first one - ' Who is this young girl in a kimono
?' was a reference to an assamese mekhla skirt worn by
somebody with, err..small eyes. It's a fantastic
anecdote with all the elements that I'm
trying to touch on in my work. I can't narrate it here
- but I find it fascinating the way 'ideas' of 'race'(
or 'feelings' of race , I'm tempted to say!) are woven
into our lives. I'd like to somehow make my work
reflect this, it's not easy.As of now,I'm going to use
this line as a title to one of my stories.

The other quotation is from Yves Chaland,a comic book
artist talking about style.Yves Chaland worked in the
1980s and created Freddy Lombard - a comic book in the
1950s style.Chaland died young though and one gets the
sense that he would've done more important work if he
didn't go so early. You get the feeling from his work
( and from his ideas on where his work was heading )
that he was only warming up.
Well, here's what he wrote about style in a letter to
a friend -

"I believe in treating the reader badly, in making
sure he never forgets that the writer is in charge. I
can make a tiny event that takes three minutes fill 43
pages, and I can tell a person's entire life story in
one page if I want to. I want to really grab the
reader's attention, I want him to know that if he
skips one image , he could miss a bloody masacre with
583 casualties. That's also why there can be pages
with no text and others with more text than the reader
can stand to read. You have to do the opposite of what
other people do and invent the rules of a new style,
because style is the most important thing, and the
author has to spend the most time on it."

Yves Chaland
September 18, 1985.

Also I've posted in another two page story 6 o'clock.
It's the same style as At the Park ( my last posting)
but different in many ways too
...( it perhaps doesn't strictly conform to the
migrant's story
theme.)I'm working on a long story thats closer to the
research idea , but will take a while before it's
done.

Thanks!