[Reader-list] Reaching Nangla, Today (03)

CM@Nangla nangla at cm.sarai.net
Thu Mar 30 00:06:14 IST 2006

Wednesday, 29th March
Nangla

Time has a weight, and people carry this weight with them. For instance,
just now I crossed a man who stopped me. His face was wet with sweat from
carrying a heavy load, his breathing was heavy, his clothes had become
dirty from carrying so many things. He said, "Madam, listen... Is our
dwelling going to be broken as well?" I didn't understand. He asked his
question again. Then he said, "We don't have anything - our ration card was
made in 1990."

Whenever I have spoken with anyone in Nangla, there is a pride in them of
having made this place. They say, "It was nothing before we came here."
They say, "We have lived here for so many years."

Names of shops are painted on the walls. Tailor's shop, STD, Beauty
Parlour, and more. Doors and threshold have been decorated with care and
love. Neither the walls, or what has been painted on them, nor the
decoration, and not the time which these hold can be taken along with
anyone today.

But doors and shutters can be removed and carried. So hammers are knocking
at them. But these sounds are few, and far between.

Neelofar
CM Lab,
Nangla Maanchi

http://nangla.freeflux.net
http://nangla-maachi.freeflux.net

It quenches the thirst of the thirsty,
Such is Nangla,
It shelters those who come to the city of Delhi,
Such is Nangla.