[Reader-list] seminars in london

chintan gohil chintichinti at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 30 21:39:26 IST 2006

***

i am helping a dear friend and fellow urbanist to
organise seminars this spring in london and would like
views/suggestions on the topics...

***

Who Owns Britain and what's it got to do with
urbanism?

In this salon I want to explore the impact
of the tiny minority of old families that own over 60%
of the land and what this means for urbanism in the
UK. Kevin Cahill's book 'Who owns Britain' would
create the baseline and then the panel can present and
discuss the implications on the urban form, politics,
etc.

***

Healthy Cities: Dense Danger?

I am partial to density, quite high density. I am also
very aware of the implications / ramifications that
very high density for places other than the city has
manifested the birth of the suburb for example and the
moral and ethical landscape that then was the cities
albatross. I want to explore the health implications
that may occur - such as MRSA (superbug) jumping out
of hospitals (its now in gyms) and explore this with
bio-ethics thinkers and urbanists ... looking to
'pre-empt' the reactions - whilst looking over
historical examples - such as the infrastructure
movement and free air movement.

***

Moral and Sociological Landscapes: City Power and The
Urban Age without Energy.

Addicted to Oil? No, addicted to electricity! Cities
have banked almost everything on electricity. (and all
the eggs are in one basket) Cities are entirely
dependant on electricity and with oil having peaked it
is understood that we can not and its likely, will
not, be able to increase or maintain the energy
demands. Interestingly it is said that we have also
past the point of being able to create 'alternative
energies' that can meet the need(s), as they need
significant energy investment at the start. We can
only be in cities cause we feel safe in them. I want
to explore the moral and sociological landscapes of
cities without/ with reduced power / without energy.

***

Is the City being Suburbanised?

David Harvey's winter lecture this year at the LSE
ended with the challenge to the audience that the city
was being suburbanised, that the values and aims of
the suburbs were now starting to dominate the city.
This salon takes up the
challenge and looks deeper into this argument
showcasing policy documents that promote this and who
and how these ideas have gained currency.

***

warm regards