[Reader-list] Content Analysis of Braille Magazine

ram murthi rammurthi at rediffmail.com
Thu Mar 30 20:03:15 IST 2006

Third Posting (Content Analysis of Braille Magazine)

Dear Friend have a great time.

In my last posting I reported that how did I manage to get the magazine (Sprashsettu) from NFB (Brial Press) at Bhadurgarh.

In this posting I am presenting brought classification of the content of this magazine. Before going to elaborate content classification it will be useful to give a brief history of this publication.

Magazine  (Sprashsettu) was started in 1988 by the federation. Ever since its beginning it is been continuously published. At this movement this magazine have readership of nearly 300 person & it is widely circulated across the various states.
The nature of this magazine is in general of current affairs magazine. This it contain information, news and reports about various activities which are undertaken particularly by central office of the federation along with some coverage of activities of state & afflictive branches.

Classification of contents: - I went through all the issues of this magazine or said period of my proposal after looking at all aspect of the contents this can be classified in following categories.
1.      Politics/Political.
2.      Social Issues
3.      Scientific information
4.      Information about current economic issues
5.      Cultural & Musical affairs with particular reference to bollywood film industry.
6.      General knowledge
7.      Literature (Poetry, Stories & Stairs)
8.      Sports (Largely Cricket with passing reference or other games).
9.      Health & Hygiene
10.  Issued related to women
11.  Information related to carrer & employment approached
12.  Current Affairs (National & International Issues)
13.  Environment

Generally most of the content can be looked at by those above categories how ever there are some coverage to those kind of issues which are overlapped & can go to some alternative categories. They cannot be put into mutually exclusive category.
Organization has appointed an editorial board which is comprised of four people. Editorial board writes an editorial in each issue of the magazine which seem to based on an opinion of individual particularly editor in chief (whose name is not mentioned specifically). Editorial contain generally views on spirituality, religion & other metaphysical aspect of life with some inspirational statements and comments in between.
 This magazine borrows it contents from various magazine which are regarded popular magazine. These magazines are generally red by lower middle class people who do not have an advance exposure to academic world. This magazine include among other
1.      SARITA
2.      GARHIH SHOBHA
3.      MUKKTA
4.      NIROGDHAN
5.      AROGGYADHAM
6.      PRATIYOGAYITA-DARPANH
7.      OUTLOOK /INDIA TODAY
8.      KALYAN
9.      VIGYAN PRAGTI ETC.
In additional it borrow material from daily newspaper such as Dainik Jagran, Navbharat Times etc. Apart from first issue of Jan.2004 (where there is no mention of any author of any article and no mentioning of source of material) rest of all other issues, I did not find any article which has not been borrowed from any of above sources.
An attempt has been made to make list of the article or item according to above categories of classification which will be used later on for content analysis. Which will be presented in subsequent postings with best wishes and regards
Ram Murti.