[Reader-list] [announcements] Schedule: PUKAR Monsoon 2006

PUKAR pukar at pukar.org.in
Fri May 5 17:17:44 IST 2006

PUKAR MONSOON 2006
Youth and Urban Identity
May 15 - June 3, 2006

PUKAR invites registration for Monsoon 2006, a series of workshops, lectures and film screenings designed for Mumbai youth under the theme "Youth and Urban Identity." Lectures will address a range of topics including urban health, communalism, revolutionary movements and media.  Workshops include hands-on exercises using photography, theatre, urban design and mapping, music and writing.  Programs will be conducted in English, Hindi and Marathi.  Fees are Rs. 150 per workshop and limited to Mumbai youth. Lectures and film screenings are free and open to the public.   (It is not mandatory to attend all the programmes. Please indicate your preference based on the descriptions below. You are most welcome to choose all!)

To register, send the following information to:
monsoon at pukar.org.in or by phone at 5574 8152
Name:
Address:
Phone:
Email:
School, College or Affiliation (if applicable):
Workshop Interest:

(Venues are subject to change)

PUKAR Monsoon 2006 Schedule

ORIENTATION SESSION
Monday, 15th May, 11-1pm, Univ. of Mumbai (Fort)

CLOSING SESSION
Saturday, 3rd June, 12-5pm, Kitab Mahal

WORKSHOPS:

Interactive Workshop in Folk Art
Tuesday, 16th May, 10-2pm, Kitab Mahal
Conducted by Prakash Khandage, folk art practitioner

How can folk art be used as a vehicle to understand the soul and ethos of the country?  Participants will be guided through various exercises in dance and music to explore the significance of folk art traditions and resistance, amid a climate of extreme globalization, religious fundamentalism and the overtaking by popular culture.

Identity at the Crossroads: A Theatre Workshop
Tuesday, 16th May, 3-7pm, Kitab Mahal
Conducted by Ratnakar Matkari, playwright, theatre director

Participants will engage in various theatre techniques to identify tensions which arise in urban life, in addition to how they negotiate multiple identities, those inherited and those acquired.  Drawing on comedy, drama, suspense and other forms, participants will witness the power of creative methodologies to explore various possibilities and outcomes.

Capturing Mumbai's Changing Face: A Photography Workshop*
PART 1: Wednesday, 17th May, 12-5pm, Kitab Mahal
PART 2: Wednesday, 24th May, 12-5pm, Univ. of Mumbai (Fort)
Conducted by David De Souza, photographer

Participants will learn how photography can be used to document changes in public and commercial space which affect the city at large and the youth in particular.  This workshop will urge youth to consider how photography can be a medium to understand infrastructure, inform urban planning and tell stories about Mumbai's changing landscape.

Please bring your own camera. A mobile phone with photo capacity is sufficient.

*(Fees for the photography workshop: Rs. 300/-)

Voices of Mumbai: A Workshop in Sound and Music
Thursday, 18th May, 10-2pm, Kitab Mahal
Neela Bhagwat, Singer and Composer

>From car horns to religious chants to protests to vendors to the latest hits blasting from record stores to chatter in one of many languages, the streets of Mumbai are filled with the sounds of music.  In this workshop, participants will be asked to draw from the sounds of Mumbai to inspire new songs about their hopes, dreams, and visions for the future.

Gender and Public Space
Thursday, 18th May, 3-6pm, Kitab Mahal
Shilpa Phadke, sociologist; Sameera Khan, journalist

Participants will discuss how gender functions in the ordering of public space in Mumbai and particularly among its youth population. Do gendered spaces ensure safety- e.g. the Ladies' compartment on the train?  This workshop will ask participants to critically examine the design of public places they frequent, from streets, public toilets and market places to places they socialize and their modes of public transport.

Writing our Mumbai Dreams
Saturday, 20th May, 2-5pm, Univ. of Mumbai (Fort)
Jerry Pinto, writer

Does your dream involve working at a call center, joining a political party, becoming an artist?  How does your personal dream coincide with your vision for Mumbai's future?
Participants will engage in various writing exercises aimed at exploring individual aspiration, youth identity and building community.

Mapping our Lives
Thursday, 25th May, 1-5 pm, Univ. of Mumbai (Fort)
Shilpa Ranade, architect

Participants will construct maps reflecting their daily activities- work, college, sports, shopping, meeting friends, commuting, and the communities whom they encounter. Participants will design maps of their "ideal" neighborhood and city- its value systems, use of public space and commercial space, and its constituency.

Youth and Our Airwaves- A Workshop on Radio
Friday, May 26th, 3-6pm, Univ. of Mumbai (Fort)
R J Malishka

Participants will engage in a hands-on workshop on some of the technical aspects of radio, in addition to discussing on how radio serves as an important medium for transmitting cultural values, information on popular culture and youth identity.

LECTURES:

Mobilizing Youth: The Case for a Cohesive Identity
Tuesday, 16th May, 6:30-8pm, Univ. of Mumbai (Fort)
Ram Puniyani, Professor, Indian Institute of Technology

Youth and Urban Health
Thursday, 18th May, 6:30-8 pm, Kitab Mahal
Anita Patil Deshmukh, Physician and Director of PUKAR
Aparna Joshi, Counselor, Bapu Trust

Mumbai's Urban Biodiversity and its conservation (Your role)!
Friday, 19th May, 6:30-8pm, Univ. of Mumbai (Fort)
Anand Pendharkar, Environmentalist, SPROUTS

Youth and Educational Institutions
Tuesday, 23rd May, 6:30-8pm, Univ. of Mumbai (Fort)
Rahul Srivastava, Writer and sociologist

Youth, Urban Communities and Revolutions - Premiji to Rang de...
Thursday, 25th May, 6:30-8pm, Univ. of Mumbai (Fort)
Kaiwan Mehta, Faculty (KRVIA), Architect

Mumbai's Changing Face - Economy and Infrastructure
Friday, 26th May, 6:30-8pm, Univ. of Mumbai (Fort)
Vidyadhar Phatak, Former Chief Planner, MMRDA

Youth and Issues of Good Governance
Tuesday, 30th May, 6:30-8pm, Univ. of Mumbai (Fort)
Surendra Srivastava, Representative of Lok Satta

FILM SCREENINGS

Aur Irani Chai
Wednesday, 17th May, 6:30pm, PUKAR Office
A Short Film on Migration, Memory and Mumbai City (20 Minutes)

Portraits of a Lane
Wednesday, 24th May, 6:30pm, PUKAR Office
A Short Film on Homes, Heritage and Mumbai City (20 minutes)

Freedom Before 11
Wednesday, 31st May, 6:30pm, PUKAR Office
A Short Film on Women and Hostel Life (25 minutes)

Venues:
Kitab Mahal, 4th floor, D. N. Road, Near Excelsior Cinema, Fort Mumbai - 01
University of Mumbai, Room no. 142, Fort Campus, Near High Court, Mumbai - 01
PUKAR Office, 1-4, Kamanwala Chambers, Sir P. M. Road, Fort, Mumbai - 01
*Venues are subject to change.

PUKAR (Partners for Urban Knowledge Action and Research)

Address:: 1-4, 2nd Floor, Kamanwala Chambers, Sir P. M. Road, Fort, Mumbai 400 001
Telephone:: +91 (22) 5574 8152
Fax:: +91 (22) 5664 0561
Email:: pukar at pukar.org.in
Website:: www.pukar.org.in