[Reader-list] Urban stories/ blog (pixel art)

Abhishek Hazra abhishek.hazra at gmail.com
Mon May 8 19:48:48 IST 2006

>>I'm trying a style I've always wanted to do: Pixel Art. Pixel art is
art drawn pixel by pixel and can be done on most graphics packages.
(http://mumbai-urbanstories.blogspot.com)

SIM City meets Mumbai Chawl!
 this is great:  i mean your idea to render a mumbai chawl in the
isometric pixel art style. i am really looking forward to it. please
keep us posted.

Isn't there a sequence in Ruchir Joshi's "Last Jet Engine Laugh" where
Paro fights a battle over Mumbai's skies?
 The pixel approach is significant on many counts. Because if you look
at it, it is really a strange animal as it confounds the vector/raster
binary. Technically it is obviously a raster image, but if you want,
you could construct it in a vector program also. So that way it is
scale independent.

Also, if you look at the classics of this genre like some of the gems
by Eboy, the attempts at verisimilitude is really interesting. Because
what happens is that while it points to the continuous tonality of say
a photograph, it never simulates it totally. So the image literally
hovers between this pixellated (quantized?) version and ones
memory/extrapolation of the actual object.

True, this play across scales has multiple precedents. From Seurat's
pointillism to Chuck Close's portraits. But I think the pixel art
approach does represent a significant development.

The pixel approach in on-screen typography is also quite fascinating.
Even if just as a purely formal problem: when you have just so many
pixels at your disposal, how do you distinguish between theGalliard
and a Garamond? Both these faces have a contrast of thick and
thinstrokes, but the way they do it is different. Today, it is quite
interesting to see typefaces like verdana being used quite regularly
on print. Because verdana initially started its life as an online font
so the characters were designed keeping in mind the reduced
information set that a pixel font affords.
Cheers,
Abhishek