[Reader-list] we the people

saraswati s_kavula at yahoo.com
Mon May 8 15:39:27 IST 2006

  ‘WE THE PEOPLE’

  We the ones who are the driving force behind the great Indian dream, the New Age India that is seen in flashy malls, funky cars and tabloid Page3 News
are also the murderers of the innocent. But we do not realise it. In our consumerist frenzy we are giving power to the Corporate which is even controlling our governments, and the government agencies are wilfully using brutality against the very people who have voted them to power. When we hear such things we shed a tear or two, they make good copy for coffee table political talk, but not once do we bother to step out of our glass houses to lend a hand to the struggling commoner whose homes have been burned down and whose life has been taken, whose hands have been chopped off by the Police in order to stop his peaceful protest and help the large Corporate CAR Manufacturer to set up his steel Mining Company; the shepherd who lost his grazing land due to the expansions of Greater Hyderabad – the real estate frenzy driven by OUR craze
 to own property, the more the merrier – for we are not satisfied with what we have. The new age mantra is to live life King style – even if it means WE either directly or indirectly take away the livelihoods and lives of the helpless, making them beggars or corpses in the bargain, their women prostituting to feed hungry children.

  Those of us, who talk about spirituality and the Art of Living, let us understand that spirituality should encompass everything that we do and every aspect of our life. In effect, does it make us any less culpable than murderers and criminals?  At least they are brought to book and punished in jails, but WE are safe behind the garb of ECONOMIC REFORMS which are bringing us bigger jobs, fatter salaries, more luxuries to enjoy, but with the cost being paid for by countless millions.

  If there is anyone out there with a conscience then think if you have this BIRTHRIGHT to make your palaces over the death and destruction of many. We talk about becoming vegetarians, about being kind to animals, but WE are the reason for so many deaths – and WE don’t realise it. Instead the deprived villager who is fighting to keep his home and hearth, to stop the Agents of Corporate sector, the Government Contractors from throwing him out of the only life he knows, to prevent his girls and women from prostituting on the streets, to ensure that he continues to live his life with dignity – he is called an “Obstructer of DEVELOPMENT”.

  And when he comes to beg on the streets of the Big City – WE call him a menace and wonder why the “Beggar Menace” is increasing in this land, why the “Crime Rate” is increasing. Only WE fail to realise that WE are part of the reason for it, for his distress and for making him hate all of us. But we don’t care, for after all he is just part of statistical Data, and we continue in our quest to acquire more – more gadgets, more cars, more palatial homes.

  Saraswati Kavula