[Reader-list] Please JOIN pro-reservation agitation in Delhi

Shivam Vij mail at shivamvij.com
Sat May 20 18:11:30 IST 2006

Join them at Jantar Mantar...

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: anoop kumar <anoopkheri at gmail.com>
Date: May 20, 2006 2:45 AM
Subject: Starting our Agitation

Dear Friends,
  Jaibheem

Students Campaign for claim on Nation has decided to start its
campaign on 21st May evening by holding a public meeting in favour of
reservation in JNU.From 22nd morning we will start our Dharna in front
of Jantar Mantar in New Delhi. Some of us will go on hunger strike. We
will start with relay hunger strike with more students joining in. The
aim of our hunger strike and dharna is to mobilise more students,
youths as well as other professionals to come out in support of
Reservation policy and to oppose the castist biases of Media, Academia
and black mail of castist medical students and doctors  and also to
force government to fulfill its constitutional obligation effectively.

We are in contact with pro-reservation students from different parts
of the country. Many of them have assured their participation in our
protest in Delhi. Within a week we are hoping to have students from
each universities and professional institutions sitting on hunger
strike and dharna in Delhi. Right now our plan is to focus our protest
in Delhi only. Given our limited means it will be appropriate for us
to focus our agitation at one place. With the time period gradually we
can coordinate with students from other part of the country and bring
all of us under one Umbrella and make concerted efforts.

We call students from various part of the country to flood Delhi in
coming days. We are small group of students without any financial
means so it is must that those students who can afford traveling and
staying in Delhi should come. The only thing we can do is to provide
them the space in our rooms for their stay.

It is most important that our intellectuals and scholars should join
us. We appeal to them to come to Delhi and at least stay with us for
one day. This will boost our confidence and help us to mobilise more
support from student community.

We also appeal our professionals to come to Delhi, if possible, or
support us in what ever way they feel they can.

TOGETHER ALL OF US CAN REALLY BRING DESIRED CHANGES IN INDIAN SOCIETY

The main rationale behind our agitation are

1. Anti-reservationist has provided us a golden opportunity to bring
caste discourse in mainstream. As we all are aware of the fact that
media, accademia and civil society always maintain conspiratory
silence on horrors of caste system and always try to hide caste based
discrimination and inequality in the name of merit. In fact they have
till now successfully denied us the space to speak, raise our concerns
since independence. Now they only, by default, have provided us an
opportunity to organise and fight caste based discrimination;

2. This is also an historic opportunity for us to pressurise Indian
government to take stock of its measures for empowerment of
underprivileged and demand effective implementation of such government
policies;

3. To oppose elitist and castist biases in educational system of the
country and to bust the myth of 'upper' caste merit

4. And the most important point is to claim our share in National
resources that has been monopolised by 15-20% of the Indian Population
based on caste system. It is high time that we demand effective land
reforms for landless people which constitute mostly SC/ST/OBCs.

OUR DEMANDS

1. Government must fulfill its constitutional obligations by
implementing reservations for SC/ST/OBCs in all government jobs,
private or government educational institutions,army,judiciary and
super speciality courses.

2. Government should also make legal provisions for reservation in
private sector for underprivileged.

3. Government must bring out a White Paper on reservation policy. It
is must so as to know how far it has been implemented. It is fact that
not even 50 % of reservation is being fulfilled by ruling brahminical
class of the county. They have denied us the maximum benefits of
reservation policy till now.

4. Effective land reforms are must for empowerment of SC/ST/OBCs.So we
demand government to carry land reforms in every part of the country.

5. We also demand to amend castist & elitist biases in our education system by
    a. redesigning the syllabuses to generate awareness about caste
based discrimination and inequality;
    b. providing non-brahminical, anti-caste icons prominent space and
to remove completely brahminical myths and misconceptions, taught to
us, in the name of National History and Culture.
    c. Ban all coaching classes for IAS, IIMs, Engineering, medical
and such other courses
    d. Restructuring competitive exams to remove biases that favours
elite class/caste students
    e. compulsory couses of history, political science, sociology for
students from technical and professional institutes.
     f. More recruitment of faculties in premier institutions from
underprivileged background to correct the caste imbalance and to break
the monopoly of brahmanical people over such institutions and to
provide opportunity for blossoming of real merit, efficiency and
excellence.
    g. Higher education must be provided in regional languages or all
primary schools must be in English medium
    h. Government must spend 10% of GDP on Education focusing on
quality primary education for underprivileged

6. We demand punishment for anti-reservation protesters for hurting
sentiments and showing their castist nature by sweeping roads,
cleaning shoes and raising castist slogans.

7. We condemn castist Indian media for instigating the protest against
reservations and providing space to biased. one-sided, castist
coverage. We also demand for punishment of  journalists, cartoonist,
editors for making fun of SC/ST/OBCs and casting aspersion on the
merit of SC/ST/OBCs without any concrete proof or datas and thus
showing its true castist nature.

JAI BHEEM

signed/-
STUDENTS' CAMPAIGN FOR CLAIM ON NATION