[Reader-list] Microsoft's view on India

geert lovink geert at desk.nl
Sat May 20 21:34:50 IST 2006

http://www.alwayson-network.com/comments.php?id=15024_0_38_0_C

Is India at the Tipping Point?

The move India must make—from renting IQ to creating its own IP, and
servicing clients overseas to leveraging technology to improve its own
large-scale societal problems.

Dan'l Lewin [Microsoft] | POSTED: 05.17.06 @03:39

Mention India and most people think of outsourcing or offshoring. But
it is much more than that today. In sector after sector, from business
processes and models to technology, Indian entrepreneurs and companies
are delivering breakthroughs in cost-performance. And it's not just
about labor cost arbitrage anymore; it is about disruptive innovation
in technology and business models. Examples include the ability to
develop drugs and vaccines at one-tenth the cost; the world's lowest
rates for mobile phone calls; and offshore product development
companies, or OPDs, creating not just features but whole products for
their clients at about one-third the cost.

  Ravi Venkatesan, chairman of Microsoft India, said with his
characteristic clarity:

  "There is no doubt that the Indian IT industry has put India on the
world map. It has created wealth and jobs on a scale we couldn't even
imagine a decade ago. It has given us the self-confidence to dream of
India as a developed nation and to see ourselves as a knowledge
society—and our population as an asset, not a liability."

  Ravi made this comment at the Microsoft Innovation Summit I just
returned from in Bangalore, India's silicon hub. He went on to talk
about how the country needs to make the transition to Indian IT 2.0,
with IT 1.0 reaching its limit. India must move from renting IQ to
creating its own intellectual property, and move from serving clients
overseas to thinking about how it will leverage technology to improve
its own large-scale societal problems. India must go beyond labor
arbitrage to creating a real, sustainable innovation-based economy. It
must move from innovation from India to innovating for India.

  Will India become the third-largest economy in the world (behind the
United States and China), as the now famous Goldman Sachs report
predicts? Will it happen within 25 years, according to Keystone India?
I personally believe that entrepreneurs and investors have some
extraordinary opportunities in India today, because the key elements
for an innovation ecosystem are gradually falling into place. India is
at a tipping point, but make no mistake, challenges remain.

India—Almost Always On, or Off?

  As any India traveler knows, to get to the technology parks you share
pockmarked roads with sacred cows, horse-drawn carts, and motorized
rickshaws, along with vans and modern cars that congest roadways. Power
outages are taken for granted during meetings. The real infrastructure
woes in India, however, are about airports, educational systems,
Internet penetration, job creation, and GDP dependence on services.
India says it is addressing the problem, but the numbers tell a
different story. India spends just $35 billion a year on infrastructure
(with its population of more than 1 billion, about 230 million less
than China); whereas China spends $260 billion annually. It's also
alarming that IT investment in India is only 3.5% of total capital
investment. The flip side of that underinvestment points to a huge
opportunity for Indian entrepreneurs—and there are many positive signs
underway.

  In fact, when I visited India in late April, I was surprised how much
progress had been made since I was there 18 months ago. For one thing,
India now has a large and growing middle class, nearly 300 million
strong, surpassing the size of the entire U.S. population. It also
boasts a huge installed base of mobile phones and 30 percent CAGR in
everything from PCs, cars, and credit cards to appliances. India
certainly does not want for growth: GDP increased 8.2% last year with
7% is expected this year.

India Bound—Going Where the Talent Is

  There are also huge numbers of Fortune 500 and Global 1000 companies
setting up development centers in India—both small companies and mega
ones such as Microsoft, Intel, and IBM. Large retailers like Wal-Mart
are desperately trying to get a foothold in the market. Despite
reservations about power and manpower in India, several large German
companies are investing in the country, specifically BMW (600 million
euro) Bosch (500 million euro), and Siemens (600 million euro) over the
next few years.

  What's the draw? A huge pool of talent, and talent to be. More than
half of the population is under the age of 25, making India the
youngest labor force in the world. And of that middle class I
mentioned, many are highly educated. India and China, the new global
tech powerhouses, are fueled by 900,000 engineering graduates of all
types each year, more than triple the number of U.S. grads.

  Despite these advances, there are still 750 million largely rural
poor. We know that huge numbers of Indians will not participate in
India's growth without access to information. Last year, through
Project Shiksa, we made a commitment to provide every Indian with
access to a connected computer by 2010 through a rural kiosk model that
we are now piloting. Our goal is to set up PC kiosks in at least
200,000 villages. To reach people their native language, we started,
Project Bhasha—making Windows and Office interfaces available in 14
local Indian languages.

  We're learning about how to approach this emerging market, but believe
that ideas will be monetized only when an economically viable ecosystem
is in place. And that requires capital.

Lack of Capital? Why Seeding the Market is So Important

  Similar to most other regions of the world, investment capital fuels
growth. After meeting with VCs there, I see India becoming a strong
destination for them, especially those with investments in the
Internet, consumer, and mobile/telephony areas. Norwest's Promod Haque
thinks that once penetration of broadband and wireless increases, the
Indian market will mimic China. I met with Westbridge Capital Partners,
India's largest venture capital fund with approximately $350 million
under management, which has now joined forces with Sequoia Capital to
become Sequoia Capital India. Other VCs doing some interesting deals
include Draper Fisher Jurvetson, KPCB, Battery Ventures, and Artiman
Ventures. In addition, InvestusCap and Seedfund are about to invest
their funds in early-stage companies, a boon for Indian startups. And
Norwest Venture Partners just raised a $650-milllion fund, with the
primary focus on investment-worthy companies in India.

  Clearly, Indian startups are maturing—most focusing on serving the
local Indian market, not cross-border relationships. While the largest
scale they have reached is about $20 million, it's an encouraging sign.
It's also interesting to note that many Indians from the Valley are
returning to India to set up their startup companies as well as to
leverage the engineering/labor-cost advantages. While many startups we
talked with have big ideas, they will need coaching to pitch ideas for
funding and must be willing to accept possible failure, a normal part
of the entrepreneurial culture. Deal-flow quality is improving, but
more has to be done before any substantial investments will be made
early in startups. Some VCs still won't go to India simply because the
exit strategies are unclear and infrastructure unpredictable.

  For those VCs who do want to leverage the India advantage, OPDs play a
crucial role.

Why Is Off-Shore Product Development So Disruptive?

  What's capturing the market's attention about OPDs in India? First,
software is built to quality standard CMMI three or better—making it
much higher than U.S. companies have built to in the past. Second,
production costs are from 30 to 50% lower than the U.S. equivalent. And
third, time-to-market for new software is 40 to 50% faster than it was
just five years ago.

  Until now, India has been considered a cost-arbitrage nation where
only low-end services were performed. OPDs are changing this notion in
a big way by building "whole software products" out of India. This
means that India's talent is targeting things higher up the value chain
and developing IP-centric skills. This in turn lays the foundation for
future product and service creation. I believe that OPDs are the
breeding ground of future software entrepreneurs and will impact the
local software ecosystem. They are working closely with global VCs who
want to leverage the India advantage for their startups. There are many
instances where once a startup in the U.S. gets funded, the development
work for the products is quickly outsourced to an OPD.

  Interesting OPDs include Symphony Systems, NESS India, Persistent, and
Aditi Technologies. Ness, for example, has established 30 labs where
R&D and product development are being done for many of the world's top
software companies such as Business Objects and Chordiant. Aditi helped
a startup build a successful online retail music product and a Fortune
100 company create home and entertainment software. Persistent Systems,
a world class OPD company based in Pune—growing some 60% a
year—received a $13.8 million investment last year from Norwest.

Microsoft's Involvement in the Ecosystems—from Bangalore to New Delhi
to Mumbai

  We believe that innovation and intellectual property are the areas
that will unleash the next wave of growth for India, and Microsoft is
committed to fostering an ecosystem that will help fuel this growth.
 From our Microsoft India headquarters in New Delhi, to our development
center in Hyderabad, to the most recent Microsoft Executive Summit with
more than 253 CIOs from Indian enterprises in attendance in Mumbai, a
lot is happening.

  At our "India Is Innovation" Summit in Bangalore—a continuation of the
strategy set in place with the launch of the Microsoft Innovation
Centers during Bill Gates's visit in December 2005, we met with more
than 150 Indian companies, as well as venture capitalists, incubators,
academia, and analysts. We talked with entrepreneurs about how they
could be a part of the global product opportunity, and talked with
venture capitalists and academic incubators about their role in
catalyzing the local software economy. The summit also included a
Microsoft startup showcase, where companies pitched their ideas to a
panel of VCs. Startups that showcased interesting technologies include
SQA Technologies, Pacsoft, Infozech, TutorVista, Pine Labs, e-Caliber,
and CoOptions. TutorVista (a Sequoia investment), for example,
leverages Internet technology and global resources to make personalized
education affordable to students globally. It was started by Indians
(serial entrepreneurs) from Silicon Valley.

  We also launched an innovation book with 27 case studies of successful
products developed by Indian startups over the last few years. Some of
featured products include InSite 2005 from Aurigo Software, Wasp3D from
Beehive Systems (for the global broadcast industry), Whizible EPM from
Compulink, Skelta Workflow Accelerator from Skelta Software and OAT
Systems, a complete RFID framework solution.

  What all of this points to is this: India is transforming itself in a
fundamental way with all the elements of the innovation ecosystem
coming together. Disruptive innovation is taking hold in India. It's no
longer a question of if, just when and how fast. At Microsoft, we
passionately believe in India's potential and are investing in the
right direction to make this a reality.

  For more, go to http://www.MicrosoftStartupZone.com