[Reader-list] [Urbanstudy] traders protest in Delhi and where sociolgical definations fail

solomon benjamin sollybenj at yahoo.co.in
Thu Nov 9 20:53:33 IST 2006

Dear Ravi, Zainab, and all
I think we are in to seeing more explictly forms of
turbalence, and violent at times -- where contest
shifts into violent conflict. Here, in a central way
what is being encroached is property in its material
sense, but also in a conceptual way, the notion of a
homogenized property. and here, perhaps the conceptual
inaction amoung progressive academics, activists, and
elsewhere, is the perpuation of a sort of
de-politisizing binary(ies) that marks the
discussions. And while it dis-empowers more complex
locality based discussions, it certainly empowers the
planners who feel like God, and allows the architect
to play golf with the new globally connected elite. It
might be useful to look at the forms of turbulence not
just as it violently uproots the poor, but are their
forms of occupation of physical and conceptual
territory.

About the politicians, well, I suspect the party
system of politics is at a crises -- but not in the
way that Appadurai points to in Deep democracy, but in
far more hydraish ways. Look at the intent of the Vote
India campanign for instance.

solly

http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/holnus/218200611091532.htm

> [...]
> being
> > > 'docile labour' on their way to class
> conciousness.
> > > and some 2300 km away in Bangalore's central
> Shivaji
> > > nager, experiences the St Mary's feast -- the
> month
> > > long celebratory event of Christians hindus and
> > > Muslims. One of the last times, I also saw the
> Infant
> > > Jesus perched up on a replica of the Delhi Bahai
> > > temple! oops is this 'culture' or then??   A
> closer
> > > look shows the parallel occoupation of space
> that is
> > > systemized into conventions over the decades --
> the
> > > 'rath' yatras by all three religions, and the
> funding
> > > of hawkers across religious groups, and the
> floating
> > > street vendors selling the latest made in china
> toys
> > > sourced from a factory perhaps in East Delhi.
> The
> > > messiness, and the complexity of propeorty
> shifting
> > > into non-property, of culture and economy and
> into
> > > politics of claiming space over that month is
> > > something no die hard police commissioner
> intending
> > > to clean Bangalore of its cyclist, or the BATF
> with
> > > their Singaporean agendas could do much aganist.
> and
> > > this is certainly not traditional. look at the
> more
> > > contemporary occoupations and encroachments of
> > > categories in other parts of Bangalore -- Austin
> towns
> > > wonderful streetlit festivities or then another
> 2000
> > > km away, the particular puja celebrations in
> > > Chandonenagore in the Kolkata metro area with
> their
> > > snazzy electrified lighting floats -- where
> complex
> > > bamboo and strip metal contacts shape lighting
> > > sequencing to pick up the latest theme that
> imagines
> > > their future. Ooops,, is there IPR here... and
> what
> > > about designating celebratory zones as some
> urban
> > > designers might like to 'Theme' these into.
> >
> > > I think for sure, if you see the real estate
> websites,
> > > the current evictions and re-zoning do benefit
> as
> > > Anant points out, the malls and multiplexes,
> just as
> > > Micro credit funders and promoters view that 14
> year
> > > old 'investing / gambeling' in the 'evil money
> > > leder's' chit fund/ committee. I suspect that
> one of
> > > the reasons why the progressive left have missed
> this
> > > 'constituency' untill after the fact, is an

=== message truncated ===