[Reader-list] Save Indian Wiki

rajesh mehar rajeshmehar at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 20 06:58:26 IST 2006

I'm sure we've all come across the extremely creative people of the Save Indian Family 'organization' (http://www.saveindianfamily.org/), whose main agenda seems to be the fabrication and proliferation of a very narrow and somewhat obnoxious point of view about certain gender-related issues like dowry-related lawsuits, IPC Sec 498 A (http://www.498a.org/), and more recently the [Protection of Women from] Domestic Violence Act.

However, I was quite surprised to find that the latest forum of propaganda used by them is our trusted online friend, Wikipedia. The Wikipedia 'article' on the Save Indian Family organization (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Save_Indian_Family) reads like an advertisement or some sort of a propaganda document. Originally submitted as part of a PR blitz by a sock-puppet user, the article was nominated for deletion after I initially flagged it as having a non-neutral point of view (see the discussion page at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Save_Indian_Family).

Since the nomination for deletion, supporters of the article have emerged to ask that the article be retained. The very well-organised and patient bunch have issued several rebuttals justifying their non-neutral POV.

I have intervened twice in the last month, essentially adding non-neutral POV and cite-check flags to the article. The article is currently renominated for deletion, based on the cite-check and POV flags. But my knowledge of the subject is somewhat basic, and my patience is running out.

I thought it would make sense to point this out to more people, so that if anyone was interested in presenting a more 'balanced perspective' about Save Indian Family and their claims, they could go over to the 'article' on Wikipedia and make their presence felt.

If anyone requires help (beyond the Wiki editing help pages http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:Contents/Editing_Wikipedia) editing Wikipedia articles, I'm sure I and other members on this list will be able to provide the required assistance.

Regards,
Rajesh.

Gonna make a lot o'money, gonna quit this crazy scene.

Sponsored Link

Mortgage rates near 39yr lows. $310,000 Mortgage for $999/mo -  Calculate new house payment