[Reader-list] Milton comes alive ( in the Obits)

aasim khan aasim27 at yahoo.co.in
Thu Nov 23 18:44:15 IST 2006

Hi Shivam, Aman, and all

Got down to reading your fwds, these were definitely
more insightful. Then I googled for more.Thing is that
with Milton F. the more I read the more I want to.

Still with the obits; found this(below) on the net, at
The Nation.

I have always found OBITS so full of life.They are
such actively contested column spaces , so genuinely
alive with critical debate around the 'being(+) and
effects(-)'. An Excel Sheet of sorts of the deadman's
deeds, with everyone summing up a different
bottomline.

In the one below, the promise of the opening lines is
so tempting but to read beyond one needs subscription.

If someone can put it up here, shall be great.

best
Aasim

Obit in the Nation:

"Friedman was the most influential economist of the
second half of the twentieth century, as his admirers
claim. What they do not say is that he was also the
most destructive public intellectual of our time.

Friedman actually failed as a scientific economist but
succeeded as a moral philosopher..."