[Reader-list] FILM CELEBRATES AMERICAN RAMAZAN

arshad amanullah arshad.mcrc at gmail.com
Sun Oct 8 08:56:17 IST 2006

                          FILM CELEBRATES AMERICAN RAMAZAN

Washington: A Muslim-Amarican film-maker has directed a new and unique
film about the American Muslim experience in the holy fasting month of
Ramazan in order to counter the negative stereotype in the mainstream
media and to meet the growing demand for positive Muslim content."Our
goal essentially was to show American Muslims in realistic light,"
said Naeem Randhawa,a first time film-maker. " We want to show Muslims
in their real world that we don't often get to see in mainstream media
or Hollywood, ' he added. Islam had been lampooned in movies,writings
and TV shows in the United States,including "JAG","24" ,and Arnold
Schwarzen-egger's "True Lies".

Trying to build bridges between all faithts,the film shows the
personal stories of five American Muslim families observing their
faith in Ramazan with commentary by a Jewish rabbi,Christian doctor
and a Muslim scholar. "We want to show that Muslims are a very diverse
group," said Randhawa,who was born in Pakistan and raised in Canada.

In his movie, Randhawa tried to show that American Muslims are part of
the fabric of America and that they go through the same issues as
their fellow Americans."American Muslims have the same hopes, fears
and aspirations as any other American has," he said.

Randhawa's documentary will be screened round the nation and will
enter into film festivals in the US and abroad. It will be aired on
PBS-Dallas,Link TV, KRA and other netwroks world-wide. The film has
already been awarded official Selection status by 'Dallas South Asian
Film Fest' and Dallas video Fest' , the first two fests that it was
submitted to.

                        (Islamic Voice,Monthly,Bangalore,October-2006).

arshad amanullah
35,masihgarh,
jamia nagar
new delhi-25.