[Reader-list] India's First Search Engine

Kiran Jonnalagadda jace at pobox.com
Sun Oct 15 09:57:47 IST 2006

Yes, Tapas,

So you do agree context makes the difference. This is a crucial bit
that many of these sites seem to have missed.

Who is "India" a community to? The site's creators, or the users? To
which of these parties does India being a single, unified community
become important to?

For an e-commerce site, it's straightforward. India is (more or less)
a single market with a common currency and common jurisdiction for
certain classes of trade. It makes sense for an e-commerce site to be
India focused. Users don't particularly care about where the site is
hosted or what countries other users come from, as long it accepts a
local currency and delivers quick and cheap (buying off Amazon vs
FabMall, for eg).

For a matrimonial site, while there are no operational barriers to
serving the entire world, users specifically want to interact with
other Indians, for reasons that run deeper than the site can hope to
influence. Therefore it makes sense for the site to be India focused.
(It is also worth noting that these sites are marriage focused,
whereas elsewhere in the world they would be dating sites; dating
sites have fared poorly in India.)

So either the nature of operations should draw limits corresponding
to the borders of India, or users should specially seek "Indianness".

What, then, does one make of a site like Yaari.com, which hopes to be
the Indian MySpace?

1. Are there operational difficulties to being global?
2. Do Indians want to restrict their online social circles to other
Indians, or do they at least want to segregate Indians in their
social circle from everyone else?

Both appear a clear No to me. So what does Yaari hope will
differentiate itself? The desi flavour? The CEO, Prerna Gupta,
explains this is indeed so [1]. What, then, makes for "flavour"? The
colours used on the site? The language of messages in the interface
(a la PutVote.com)? Or the people you get to meet on the site?

Surely the latter trumps all other forms of desi flavour? But surely
your Indian friends are already talking to you on Orkut, MySpace,
LiveJournal and a host of other spaces? So why would they move? Is an
improvement over Orkut's scraps, one piece of the functionality,
sufficient justification?

Or does Yaari hope they'll entice you with the prospect of running
into a fellow Indian no matter which random profile you pick? But do
people actually visit random profiles so much? Is it not the case
that after you've used Orkut, MySpace, LiveJournal, even Ryze for a
while, pretty much anything on the site seems a familiar corner,
because these sites are constructed to deliver you a personal
universe that contains what you want it to contain?

(I posted to this list on the same lines in relation to LiveJournal,
last August).

How does Yaari hope to break this spell then, by merely being
"Indian" flavoured? Or is all the talk about being Indian only meant
to be a media hook, to get the attention of reporters seeking an
Indian angle to the story, because *their* publications, owing to
operational constraints and community formed by extent of political
jurisdiction, are limited to India?

~j

[1] http://www.tech2.com/india/news/websites/desi-social-networking-
site-yaari-com-debuts/2271/0