[Reader-list] "emerging communities" thru ORKUT

tushar bhor tushar_bhor at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 14 18:22:34 IST 2006

  Now-a-days it not difficult to find your old crush, ever lasting grudge, bus stop pals, extended family members, etc etc etc. They all are just click apart. The possibility of meeting is through a virtual community called Orkut. Other day at friends place, aunty actually suggested my friend to scrap their distant relative and convey their regards.
Apart from flirting and legally peeping into others life, the site gives an opportunity to express one’s opinion in the existing created virtual communities or it provides a space for forming a new community, which could be as silly as “ I hate Ekta Kapoor “ to as serious as promoting hacking through “Hackers” community. As I was browsing I encounter an interesting community called “Need Of Students in Politics”. Let’s see what it talks abt -

  This is a forum to indicate the need of educated people in the Politics, especially
students who are well mannered, good natured,,,

  it will be a revolution if students enter students..........
  soon India will become a Powerful country.....

  every State People can start a discussion on their own.........

  Advance thanking you, for making an awareness of the powerful future of students in politics..............

  Further, the questions that were posted were more hilarious or rather worrying, which asked about the “opinion about Manmohan Singh” and also like “does Tamilnadu need students politics”, etc.  The particular community talks about the concern on the larger picture, which young mind may be questioning and till now there was limited access for their voice.

  Looking backward historically, the community structure was largely based on caste, religion, demographic location or even formed due collective concern where people physically came in together. Later was period of associations were people came together for reasons of survival and rights. But, the new community structure or formations has their own ideology or even no logically framework. It might be formed through just an instinct with no operational reasons. Like one which on orkut “Lazy bones”, which is meant for people who would like to go languid to a largest extent. But these kind of virtual communities have empowered users to aspect of life which other wise are not accepted in the societal. These new virtual communities have developed their own concerns, language, and operational needs, which factually can be emerging structures for so called “contemporary communities”. Let time decide how they sustain and operate!!

  Enjoy orkutting!!!!

TUSHAR BHOR
ARCHITECT and INDEPENDENT RESEARCHER.

Residence Address:
10/60, Madhu Sadan,Sion(w),Mumbai–400022,Maharashtra,India.
Tel. No: +91 22 24083828.
Mobile: +91 98190 35176.
E mail: tushar_bhor at yahoo.com