[Reader-list] My Comments on the Nobel Peace Prize for Dr Yunus and Grameen Bank of Bangladesh

Kath O'Donnell aliak77 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 16 11:27:45 IST 2006

thanks for your comments Arshad. I'm afraid I didn't know much about
these loans prior to reading in the (Hindustan Times) paper over the
weekend. from what the papers say it also sounds like the loans are
only available for people in regional areas not the cities where there
are still many who could benefit to start their own business. I was
not aware of the other issues you mentioned below - there are always
ways people will exploit a monetary situation. I'm not sure this will
ever change (no matter what country). do you think the loans have
helped some people/women though - not all were exploited were they? or
are they (the papers) just using stereotypes of examples of women who
take a loan to buy chickens to sell the eggs because it sounds nice to
the readers.

there's so many different scenarios in India that I'm unfamiliar with
which I'd like to understand more about, so apologies if this sounds a
touch naive. I read of so many stories in the paper, but they never go
into depth and the articles I think should be front page so people
take more notice seem to be buried as small paragraphs deep in the
middle section of the papers. (same with papers around the world)

cheers
Kath

--
http://www.aliak.com