[Reader-list] Despite HC order, chhath celebrations to be grand

rakesh at sarai.net rakesh at sarai.net
Thu Oct 26 11:14:18 IST 2006

Dear All

Now Sanjay Nirupam has to go to the court in response to sume
environmental group. Following is the detailed news:
*

Despite HC order, chhath celebrations to be grand*

Mumbai: Despite a Bombay High Court directive restricting chhat
celebrations on Saturday on Juhu beach, one of the organiser of the
celebrations Sanjay Nirupam says the celebrations will happen full scale
but without cocking a snook at the courts.

He has moved the operative part of the celebrations to the grounds of
the hotel and not Juhu beach per se, where the court has restricted the
size of the stage (which has to accommodate an enormous number of film
stars and politicians) to just 150 square feet.

The Hotel Horizon abuts the Juhu beach and has vast acres of empty space
surrounding the actual building.

Nirupam has now secured a no-objection certificate from the hotel –
which is private property and so outside the purview of objections by
environmentalists opposing the celebrations – and a 60 by 100 square
foot stage will rise above the walls of the hotel from where the
expected five lakh people gathered on Juhu beach can view the celebrities.

Nirupam is moving a Special Leave Petition before the Supreme Court on
Thursday in this regard to close all possibilities of dispute with
environmentalists.

Meanwhile, he has already moved the Vacation Judge on Wednesday and
secured the court's permission for kirtans and bhajans on chhat puja on
Saturday.

The judge, however, has asked the organisers to secure permission of the
Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation for the loudspeakers and Nirupam's
SLP will also seek an interpretation of the 10 pm deadline with regard
to noise pollution.

Then, again, around four private trusts are being brought together to
work round the court directive which says changing rooms for women
should not be more than two per celebration.

Nirupam said it was impossible to follow this directive without
factoring in the possibility of a stampede because of the restricted
enclosure.

"We expect five lakh people of which around 4000-5000 women would be
fasting. Each enclosure cannot accommodate more than two women and as
you know one woman will not change before another. Under the
circumstances, we have had to persuade the various organisations to come
together to construct two enclosures each so that more women can change
at a time."

Nirupam said if this amounted to contempt of court, he was willing to
appear before the judges and pay the price but he had to avoid the
possibility of untoward accidents at all cost.

"It will be a five-hour do and we cannot keep the people idle all this
time until the main event begins, otherwise they would get into fights
and stampedes. So we had to move the Vacation Judge today."

However, there is one court directive he has no way to combat: that
there should be no political posters at the chhat celebrations. Nirupam
sounded pretty unhappy about it. "I will follow that directive but what
happens later to Ganpati celebrations which have a political origin and
to dahi handi celebrations which have acquired political overtones over
the years?"

Nirupam, who joined the Congress after quitting the Sena a couple of
yeas ago, bases his powers on the large number of uttar bharatiyas in
Mumbai and the chhat celebrations are essential to that as they are not
to Kripa Shankar Singh, his north Indian rival in the party who is from
Uttar Pradesh.

Now Nirupam says, "Celebration of festivals is my constitutional right.
How can anyone object to it?"

What about the enormous amounts of garbage that the revelers might leave
behind on the beach? That is the main objection of the Juhu Citizens
Welfare group which moved the courts against celebrations - that they
leave behind mounds of garbage that desoils the beach for weeks.

The organisers have closed that particular debate with the greens by
hiring Sulabh International to sweep Juhu beach clean the next day. "We
will personally supervise the disposal of the last piece of garbage on
the beach and leave it as clean as before," adds Nirupam.

Source: Hindustan Times

--
Rakesh Kumar Singh
Sarai-CSDS